Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #1

Trip idea - El Camino del Diablo

What do you think about Veteran's Day weekend in November? Average temps in November can't be beat. Plus, there's got to be AT LEAST a 50/50 chance I'll get my van back from SMB West by then.

Unfortunately, between my schedule and SMB West's pace, I don't think I can count on having both time and my van prior to Memorial Day weekend. That would be good to go except the average temps are already into the 100's by then.

I'll have to do a little checking, but I already have a range pass to go down there. I got it at the Marine Corps Air Station in Yuma. There wasn't a video or anything. Just a quick brief to explain that it is a bad idea to pick up unexploded bombs and a requirement to check in and off the range via a phone number (helps to make sure that you don't drive under any falling unexploded bombs).

Much like Bill, I can't promise you'll see a dogfight, but I'm pretty sure I could arrange a quick tour of a Fighter Squadron at Yuma (since you have to stop there for a range pass anyway). I also have reliable sources for the location of two crash sites. One is an F-14 Tomcat. The other is an F-4 Phantom. I'm also friends with a couple of guys that work for the Boarder Patrol. I'm sure I could get some good info from them as well - like where to camp near their operations so you don't have to worry about our "friends" from the south wandering through camp.

Thoughts?

Old 01-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #2

El Camino del Diablo - Bill Burke trip

My contacts in the Boarder Patrol (BP) had a couple of points:

1. Further East there is a more significant illegal presence. They recommend camping further West.

2. Although the "road" used to be a fairly austere trail, the BP has grated it and it is fairly well traveled by them now.

3. There are several fighter crash sites which are well known on the Western half (F-14, F-4, F-18, AV-8).

Didn't get a chance to check on the range passes today. Should get a chance tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:38 AM   #3
Site Team

Re: Trip idea - El Camino del Diablo

I would be interested in going on this trip. Keep me posted.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #4

Trip idea - El Camino del Diablo

Got a chance to ask about range passes today. You just need a drivers license, registration, and insurance.

You can get a pass at the front gate of the Yuma air station.

Too easy.