Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #11

Garage
Delivery Day + 11 & 12

Date: September, 27
Destination: Jasper, Canada
Miles: 200

After staying near Banff for a few days, it was time to move north to Jasper for a couple of days. We drove the Icefields Parkway once already, but - you probably can't drive it too much as it is too amazing. The plan was to camp in Jasper for a couple of days. Still, no issues with our SMB - other than it had attained rock star status all on its own. The Canadians just go nuts over this thing. I have never seen more vans in my life than in Canada (all types of vans). We got mobbed everywhere we went. People actually follow you until you stop, then they get out and have a 30 minute conversation with you about what the heck it is that you are driving and how cool it is. They take pictures while hanging out of their windows - while they are driving narrow winding roads - at the same time. Construction workers, flaggers, border guards, everyone just freaks when you roll by. At first I had to keep stopping and getting out just to make certain I was not dragging an elk or something under the van, I mean it is weird.

Random pics from the Icefields Parkway on the way to Jasper...

Just when I got to thinking that our rig was super adventure hot stuff - I would get shot down again...

We arrived at the Columbia Icefield right as a passing storm came though. This was taken among strong snow flurries.

Cheers,
---Bruce--- (epic-exposure.com/albums/adventure/)
twolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #12

Garage
Delivery Day + 11 & 12

Date: September, 28
Destination: Jasper, Canada
Miles: 0 (not really)

We stayed out at Whistlers Campground (about 2 miles south of the town of Jasper). Again, even though we had a home base for a short while, we were still out exploring every chance we could get. Errrrr, ummmm... it was also mandated that we stop in town to do some 'browsing' for a little while. To me, browsing is something you do on-line. To my wife, browsing it is a tactic that innocently opens the door... then cascades its way into the real objective... SHOPPING.

Eventually, we did get to more tooling around...

We even managed to find some snow...

Jasper had some very incredible wildlife that can get very close (elk, deer, wolves, moose, coyote, etc...) and we encountered them all. Most prevalent, were the elk. This bull elk was the current winner of the group of females that were inhabiting our campground. He had lots of competition from a couple of other six pointed bulls for his harem - but he was defiantly standing his ground.

Here is a female elk, shaking off a recent rain squall...

Cheers,
Old 10-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #13

Garage
Delivery Day + 13

Date: September, 29
Destination: Kamloops, BC
Miles: 280

Well, that is all of the time we get this year to play around up north. We had an excellent time in our new rig. A big thanks to our Canadian neighbors - the exchange rate sucks but your hospitality is second to none. Time to wash the soil off of our SMB and start the final part of our loop south - and home.

We stayed at a Hampton Inn this night (had a spa tub in our room and all). We were trying not to think about the impending end to our vacation. It was a tight fit, but the SMB did manage to hide (sort of) in the hotels covered parking.

Cheers,
Old 10-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #14

Garage
Delivery Day + 14

Date: September, 30
Destination: Whistler, BC
Miles: 190

Upon our arrival this evening we will be a day away from home. One last stop in Whistler before crossing the border. There are many Forest Service roads near Whistler that I would love to explore, but maybe another day. We have been going non-stop on this trip so far and we both agree that today is as good as any to just lay low and get the van cleaned up before crossing the border.

Cheers,
Old 10-03-2007, 03:33 PM   #15

Garage
Delivery Day + 15

Date: October, 01
Destination: North Bend
Miles: 260

Back to the chaotic (yet familiar) flurry of... traffic.

Home at last...

Quick Recap:
Our SMB did not have one single major issue (that we found).
We did not get the chance to try every available feature/system.
We logged just over 4K miles total.
Each of us had a wonderful time - and we know we want to go many more places with this vehicle.

The diesel consumption looked like:

Miles, Gallons, Price/Unit
----------------------------------
127.1, 14.062, 3.129/Gal
273.1, 22.981, 3.159/Gal
369.2, 34.164, 3.249/Gal
275.1, 22.555, 3.059/Gal
328.9, 22.734, 3.300/Gal
370.1, 23.969, 3.129/Gal
224.4, 18.217, 3.129/Gal
324.6, 26.630, 0.989/Litre
249.5, 21.927, 0.959/Litre
336.3, 23.511, 0.969/Litre
401.3, 29.239, 0.969/Litre
376.7, 25.666, 1.019/Litre
408.5, 25.765, 3.299/Gal

Best wishes on your next trip.
Cheers!

Cheers,
Old 10-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #16

Garage
Generator...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buji
Absolutely terrific looking van (and color!). That yellow item where the xtra storage normally is is a generator, yes? I thought you were getting an Onan?

Yep, the yellow box just aft of the rear axle is a diesel generator. Truthfully, I dont know what OEM/Model was ultimately installed. I sure was surprised at how loud it was when I test fired it - not something I would run in a public place. I have the van at home in my shop now and will be going over it with a fine tooth comb in the coming weeks.

Thanks,

Cheers,
Old 10-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #17

Those are fantastic pictures Two Lost. I'm so jealous of your maiden voyage. Our's is just going to be two nights out after picking up the SMB. I enjoyed reading your website as well and all your various impressions of the build along the way. Enjoy your incredible, new SMB!
Old 10-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #18

Garage

Thanks much SD...

Credit for at least half of the photos - if not more- goes to my wife and her pocket camera. I drag all of the heavy cumbersome photo glass around, setup, etc... and she is the one who nimbly whips out her mini camera and captures most of the daily moments. Her additions really help to tell a more complete story.

Our SMB is warming up in the driveway right now as we prepare for another 500 mile trip to the eastern part (sunny side) of our state over the weekend.

Best wishes with your build - it does not sound like it will be all that long now...

:-)

Cheers,
Old 10-07-2007, 10:06 PM   #19

Garage

Date: October, 06
Destination: Tri Cities, WA

Not really a consecutive part of our recent vacation... but this very brief trip east of the cascade range did become part of our SMB shakedown.

Our SMB clashing with desert colors.

Cool place to eat lunch.

A little practice with using 4x4.

Checking for clearance

Objective: Start from dead stop on hill covered in loose rock.

Rear would spin in standard drive. Stuck.

Some improvement with ARB locked rear end - but we could not have crested the hill without a run at it. More risk than I would take.

Lastly, lock front hubs, shift front and rear into L, ARB lock both ends. Crawl. Hill was no match. Easy.

Cheers,
Old 10-07-2007, 10:34 PM   #20

Garage
Nice climb, 2lost.

All you really needed was to go to low range. Lockers not required here.

If you slip in high, always go to low before deciding on lockers.