Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #1

UP Michigan travel info Fall 2019

We are planning a trip to Upper Peninsula Michigan late September/early October fall 2019. Looking for any type of travel information, idea's or things to do in that area. We hike, Road ride, MTB, sea kayak, so open for any idea's. I know why leave Colorado, well if you don't leave, we would not see anything. thanks

Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #2

Garage
tons of stuff to see in the UP I was stationed there for a short time

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

The locks at Sault Ste. Marie and if you go there The Antler's is a good place to eat Restaurants In Sault Ste Marie | The Antlers Restaurant | 906-253-1728

if you go to Marquette Iron Bay is a good place to eat https://www.ironbaymqt.com/

The Grand Hotel is nice if get the chance https://www.grandhotel.com/

good site - https://www.michigan.org/hot-spots/upper-peninsula
Sboring35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #3

A day trip to Mackinac Island is fun. Take your bikes as there is some nice riding there.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:12 PM   #4
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
We have done the Great Lakes tour just last year and then again a couple of months ago...our TOP stays were all State Parks that were on a Great Lake...It was an easy loop and our FAVORITE Mouth of the Two Rivers was quite remote and a good many miles of hard sandy roads that took you out through nowhere to the campsite...would do it again tomorrow...make sure you have your furnace in order...lows will be dipping into the high 30's low 40's for sure!! Here are our favorites in order (not in order of visiting)

1. Mouth of the Two Rivers SP/SE shore of Superior an hour or so NE past Mackinaw
2. Porcupine SP...South/Middle Shore of Superior (campsite #16 you could launch your kayaks right from there! rock outcrop great for star gazing)
3. Mclain SP... Peninsula in middle south shore of Superior (our favorite for scenery/beach walk/rock hunting)
4. Cheboygan SP.. NW Tip of Huron (from there we went to Mouth of the Two Rivers)
5. Leelanau SP East shore of Michigan

All very great and I am sure we will be back for Apostle Islands in Wisconsin, more Mouth of the Two Rivers, and Picture Rock area where it is much more like boondocking in the west...GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A BLAST!!

PS DO yourself a favor and get the Ultimate Campground app for your phone or laptop...$4.99 and it is the BEST thing for the van since the van itself...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4547.jpg   IMG_4561.jpg   IMG_1574.jpg   IMG_8995.jpg   IMG_1688.jpg  

IMG_8917.jpg  
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:29 PM   #5
ctb

Garage
a couple more...
pic #1,2 Mclain SP
pic #3,4 Leelanau SP (campsite faced the Lake, so great!)

Pst FORGOT to mention these are all UP and/or related parks!!

Psss Dang forgot another thang...could do the up to Duluth, Min then head east and hug the shore through Wisconsin/Apostle Islands, then to Porcupine SP in UP, then to Mclain SP, the to Picture Rocks or Cliffs or something (NP), the Mouth of Two Rivers, Down the east Shore of Lake Michigan to I-80 home...If you stop in Des Moines, IA Iowa Beef Steak House for the BEST steak you'll ever have, and if your stuck anywhere in the few hour E or W of I-80 IM me!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8891.jpg   IMG_8889.jpg   IMG_8776.jpg   IMG_8866.jpg  
Old 08-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #6

Like to hike?? Think about Isle Royal the one national park that has very few visitors. Out in the middle of Lake Superior and requires taking a boat (The Ranger II) or sea plane to get there. Backpack or stay at lodge and day hike.
Pictured Rocks day hike, backpack, sea kayak.
Marquette has several ***** restaurants. Verlings, Sweetwater Cafe
Silvania Wilderness Area....camp, canoe, kayak, backpack...virgin growth trees.
147 waterfalls in UP. many easy to find some not so easy....waterfall books available on line

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:02 PM   #7
Orv

Garage
I typed a long post about the Keweenaw area, but between distractions it took me about half an hour to type it, so the site logged me out before I could submit it, and helpfully deleted all my text.

Then it occurred to me that you might not be going there anyway (the U.P. is a big place.)

If you do think you'll be getting up to the Keweenaw Peninsula, let me know, I can give you a lot of suggestions. I went to college at Michigan Tech, in Houghton. It's a pretty unique area.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #8
ctb

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
I typed a long post about the Keweenaw area, but between distractions it took me about half an hour to type it, so the site logged me out before I could submit it, and helpfully deleted all my text.

Then it occurred to me that you might not be going there anyway (the U.P. is a big place.)

If you do think you'll be getting up to the Keweenaw Peninsula, let me know, I can give you a lot of suggestions. I went to college at Michigan Tech, in Houghton. It's a pretty unique area.
Orv! Man that PO's me every time I post (pics usually take too long and will log you out b/f loaded) I always copy my text in 'edit' and push the 'preview post' every now and then even if I am not ready...hope that helps! and YOU SHOULD repost! It has become a GREAT alternative to heading10+ hours west to get to anything cool (lol)
Old 08-13-2019, 06:21 PM   #9

All,
Can't say enough about the support and idea's. We have committed to the UP Michigan trip. Leaving Colorado around September 19thish. Thanks Bear and clan
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:28 AM   #10
Orv

Garage
So, the Keweenaw. The geology there is fairly unique; it was originally a rift zone, where the North American continent tried to split in two. As a result there's a lot of volcanic rock, mostly basalt. The rock strata got heaved up at an 80 degree angle, creating some cliffs and jagged hills with exposed bedrock that are very different from most of Michigan. The bedrock is so shallow that many building basements in the area weren't dug, they were blasted out. It was once a major copper mining area -- around 95% of the copper for the whole country came from there in the mid to late 1800s! Most of the mines shut down in the 1930s, with a few hanging on into the 1960s. As a result there's a *lot* of old industrial infrastructure there. The copper itself was unusual; it wasn't an oxide or an ore, but actual flecks of metallic copper embedded in the rock. Quincy Mine has a very large piece of "mass copper" on display, a solid piece of nearly pure, naturally-occurring copper weighing hundreds of pounds. MTU used to have one on display outside but I didn't see it last time I was there. It may have been moved somewhere to protect it from theft, since a quarter-ton of pure copper is worth quite a lot these days.

A few places do mine tours; the most accessible is probably the Quincy Mine north of Hancock. I understand Quincy Smelter now has a tour, too -- when I was in college it was abandoned and people used to sneak in. If you drive past Torch Lake, keep an eye out for two sunken dredges and a concrete building that used to be a plant for processing mine tailings.

I highly recommend making a loop of M-26 and US-41, especially in the fall. M-26 will take you up the western coast of the Keweenaw Peninsula, through dunes and rocky shorelines, with good views of Lake Superior and the Sawtooth Reef. US-41 goes down the middle of the peninsula and is a tunnel of trees for much of its length. The northern terminus of US-41 is a small turn-around loop in the woods just north of Copper Harbor (the other end is in Miami, FL.) If you're feeling adventurous, a seasonal gravel road called Mandan Road continues north from here. A fork off of this road leads to a remote beach where NASA launched sounding rockets -- google "Keweenaw Rocket Range" for details. There's occasionally active logging along some of those roads, so keep an eye out for any warning signs about truck traffic.

Take the Brockway Mountain Drive turn off M-26 for stunning views of Lake Superior. This is well marked until about mid-October, when they take the sign down to protect it from being damaged by snowplows. Yearly snow totals can exceed 300 inches, so snow removal is no joke. In Houghton you'll see parking meters set back against the storefronts instead of at the curb, for the same reason.

Many of the towns there, especially Houghton and Calumet, have a lot of buildings left over from when they were more prosperous. You'll see a lot of red sandstone -- this was quarried over by Jacobsville, and gets its color from a high iron content. Many of the roadways and sidewalks are pink from the iron-rich gravel used to make them.

There are two very nice state park campgrounds -- McLain State Park, and Fort Wilkins State Park. Both are nice, but I recommend McLain for its views of Lake Superior and the Portage Canal entry. Reservations are recommended, I'm not the only one with a high opinion of it.

There are many waterfalls in the area, although in September they won't be as impressive and some may even be dry. Two that I recall are Manganese Falls (Manganese Road, south of Copper Harbor, often dry in the summer) and Haven Falls, which is in a little park near Lac La Belle. If waterfall hunting is your thing you can find extensive lists of Keweenaw waterfalls online.

Food and drink in Houghton:
- Ambassador Restaurant: Good thin-crust pub pizza. The plain brick exterior is misleading -- inside are cool old murals and a lovely view of the Portage Canal Lift Bridge from the back dining room. The lift bridge carries US-41, M-26, and (in the winter) a snowmobile trail across the canal.
- Suomi Restaurant: Excellent breakfast spot. Try the Nisu bread, a style of cardamom-flavored bread brought over by the Finnish immigrants who worked in the mines.
- Keweenaw Brewing Company: Good microbrew pub, popular with MTU students.
- The Library: Microbrewery and decent family-style restaurant with a view of the Portage Canal. Was originally a hole-in-the-wall bar until it burned down and was rebuilt -- look for the original wooden door hanging on one of the walls.
- Cyberia: Very chill coffee shop and Internet cafe in downtown Houghton.

Wildlife considerations:
Mosquitoes and biting black flies can be quite a nuisance in swampy areas -- bring bug repellent! Black bears live in the area but are generally too shy to create problems for campers. Take precautions against ticks when hiking in the brush; the risk of Lyme disease is low but it does happen up there.