Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Utah/Dugway Geode beds

FINALLY!!!!!!!!! heading out again in Sporty 3rd or last week of April, and thinking of doing the Dugway Geo beds in Utah, then west across the Pony Express route into NE Nevada then down (maybe Vegas for a day/night then head home via N/Rim Grand Canyon (I know it is closed till May) area then east to either valley of the gods, Gooseneck, four corners, then back to Iowa...so questions are:

Anyone been to Dugway Geode area, geode hunting good? Any other rock hounding opportunities around there and east? Any other Neveda sites a must? (Been to Death Valley from N trail a few years back, not thinking of it for this trip) How about accessibility to areas around the North Rim or better suggestions with Lake Powell area? Thank you in advance to all that respond! Can't wait to post trip report and those pics eh!?! Again thanks SMB Brothers and Sisters!!

ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
Site Team

That would be awesome. I'm contemplated it a few times, but never made it.

In the middle of absolutely nowhere Utah (about 50 miles west of Delta, UT), you can dig for Trilobites. There are commercial quarries (where the remove the overburden, and provide some education and guidance), and there are public quarries on BLM land.

WRT commercial quarries, I've dug at U-Dig Fossils, and at New Dig (which I think was recently bought out, and is operating under a different name). These two quarries are within something like a 1/2 mile of each other, and they're surrounded by BLM land where you can camp for free. There are wild horses in the area too.

Herb

[EDIT: there are a number of commercial opal quarries in northern Nevada, but if I understand it correctly, opal must be carefully dried or it completely cracks]
Old 03-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #3
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
That would be awesome. I'm contemplated it a few times, but never made it.

In the middle of absolutely nowhere Utah (about 50 miles west of Delta, UT), you can dig for Trilobites. There are commercial quarries (where the remove the overburden, and provide some education and guidance), and there are public quarries on BLM land.

WRT commercial quarries, I've dug at U-Dig Fossils, and at New Dig (which I think was recently bought out, and is operating under a different name). These two quarries are within something like a 1/2 mile of each other, and they're surrounded by BLM land where you can camp for free. There are wild horses in the area too.

Herb

[EDIT: there are a number of commercial opal quarries in northern Nevada, but if I understand it correctly, opal must be carefully dried or it completely cracks]
Hey Herb! Thanks for the input! I have the Utah Rockhounding guide that lists some areas you mentioned, and now with a 'trusted' Forum user saying it has intrigued them too, I think its what we will do...PLUS a one nighter in Vegas for seafood buffet, some dice, and a dose of people watching covers a good spectrum of adventure on such a trip...or maybe we'll stay in Utah if the 'picked' are good..THANKS again Herb!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #4
Site Team

Some posts of our trip looking for trilobites, and other fossils.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...12-a-8722.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...es-9234-2.html

Herb