Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #1

Utah May 13th-16th Disabled Explorers Desert Solitude Series

This is our second in the Desert Solitude Series where we are taking a disabled vet on a multi-day backcountry adventure around the Glen Canyon Rec Area.

This is our participant Nathan when we went out to see how he likes driving the Wheelchair Accessible Van for Expeditions, the Action Trackchair and how he does moving around inside the van.

We have a couple of people signed up to join us on this Desert Solitude Series Adventure but there is room for a couple more. We want to keep the group small enough that Nathan can go where his heart desires.

The Plan:
Leave Phx way early Thurs May 13th
Meet a volunteer Bill in Page around Noon, have some lunch, fuel up and head out to Big Water where we will take to the dirt.

Go who knows where and see all we can until we return to pavement Sunday am for a blast back to Phx.

The goal of these outings is more than play...it is theraputic recreation for our participant. To drive, navigate, use the radio and become imersed in the Expedition, to go where there will never be wheelchair ramps, pathways & handrails....these are our goals.
Disabled Explorers is not a tour service, we enable the disabled toward independent backcountry travel.

If you join us there are some things to know.
Everyone has a role to play, from taking pictures (or driving around the photo or video person), to helping with camp setup/takedown, to cooking, to providing humor and banter around the fire.
Also we would ask that you help donate to cover the cost of the outing. My goal is always have these trips be at no cost to the participant. If they want to donate also, great, but there are enough barriers in life without adding cost to the mix.

If you are interesting in joining this or other Disabled Explorers outings please mail me directly to info AT disabledexplorers DOT org
If you want to help cover the cost, have some resources like fuel, food, ham radios, or almost anything else I am always in need.

May will be exciting with 2 Utah outings for Disabled Explorers, June will take us to Baja and of course we always have our Phoenix area Day Trips that happen regularly. Thanks to all of you who have helped in the past, it is you who deserve the credit for making DE possible.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #2

Re: Utah May 13th-16th Disabled Explorers Desert Solitude Series

This is very cool - I can't even imagine how many hours of work you've put into these trips. I try to picture what it would be like to think that you're trapped in a situation, and then to be taken out into the backcountry and shown what's really possible!! Makes me stoked!

Looking forward to the trip report

Cheers,
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote