Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #21

If you end up doing lava beds you will be coming through McCloud and Mount Shasta on hwy 89. Tons of disbursed camping on Forrest service roads between Reno and McCloud. If you come to this area be sure to hit Burney Falls, McCloud River Falls (Fowler Camp Ground) and the cool little Alpine City of Mount Shasta. Plenty of disbursed camping on West side of Mount Shasta off of the road that leads out to the Lake Siskiyou Campground. Just go past the entrance a few miles to camp next to the south fork river.

Wishing4asmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #22

If you go via Medford, heading to the North Redwoods via Grants Pass and south through Crescent City is quite nice. A stop in Oregon Caves along the way in southwest corner of Oregon is fun, especially with the kids.
gregf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:42 PM   #23
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
There is so much to do...all these suggestions are GREAT!! Some of our favorite campsites ever was at Gold Bluffs Beach...we saw lots of seal peeping their heads out at us...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3040.jpg   IMG_3025.jpg   IMG_3033.jpg  
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:05 PM   #24

we love the CALIFORNIA TRAIL INTERPRETIVE CENTER near Elko NV

https://www.californiatrailcenter.org

we stopped for a quick break and stayed an hour.

next time that way we scheduled a 2 hour visit so we could see the rest of it.
some days have living history folks if you get lucky
the kids will love it

(typing one handed due to broken arm)
Old 06-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzila View Post
I live in Gold Beach Oregon. You will want to be sure to Drive From Grants pass to 101, and make a small diversion South to Richardson Grove, The Last real Stand of Old Growth Redwoods,, Then turn around and come back up the Coast. (assuming you come the way of Medford)

The Coast Views From Crescent City to Coos Bay will take you right by my house in Gold Beach.. And Those are the Absolute Best Coastal Views in the World. But The Iconic Oregon Coast line is here in my Back Yard. And we also have the Very tip top of the Remaining Old Growth Redwoods here just as you cross over from California to Oregon around Brookings..

Enjoy the Trip Sounds Fun.

Thanks, man this place is blowing our minds, we haven't been up past Crescent city yet but may try and get up that way. I love Utah but man is this place growing on me, might just have to be our new summer vacation place. We are suprised how not crazy busy it is, it's amazing. Is Richardson Grove really only open 3 days a week like Google maps shows? That's weird.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #26

Garage
I realize you're already on your trip, but wanted to offer some suggestions. I would remain on paved roads thru NV for this trip, but future trips would definitely recommend going off-pavement (get away from the crowd). There are innumerable places to see in NV/CA.

If deciding to visit Pyramid Lake, here's a breakdown of costs - https://pyramidlake.us/permits
Overnight camping is $16, and here's a map showing the various beach names - https://pyramidlake.us/wp-content/up...ClosureMap.pdf
If visiting, make sure to follow the tribe rules...

Based upon the original map, if traveling:
I-80 - Lamoille Canyon (south of Elko about 1/2 hour), Jarbidge (north of Elko a couple hours), Pyramid Lake (north of reno about 1 hour), Lake Tahoe (sw of reno about 1 hour), Truckee, Lava Beds, Gold Bluff.

Here's a map with the proposed I-80 route ~18.5 hours per google maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Salt...b1!3b1!3e0!4e1

US 50 - Wheeler Peak/Great Basin NP/Lehman caves, Tonopah, Lee Vining/Mono Lake, South Lake Tahoe, Truckee, Lava Beds, Gold Bluff

Here's a map with the proposed southerly route ~21hours per google maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Salt...41.3965108!3e0