Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
Site Team

Visiting Ghost Towns in Central Nevada - June 2016

This past June I took a three-day jaunt through central Nevada to visit some of the almost 100 mining ghost town sites I've noted on my Nevada map. I'd been wanting to do this for a long time and finally got around to it. My trip entailed a 1100 mile loop from my home in Las Vegas.

I visited about 30 different sites. Some of the sites have nothing to see beyond a few mounds where mines used to be. But other town sites had ruins of buildings, stamp mills, and other interesting buildings. Some of the old town are still inhabited.

Rather than put the pictures on here, you can see a few of my pictures here in my gallery: Sportsmobile Forum - macmcintire's Album: Ghost Town Trip through Central Nevada - June 2016

If you want to view the pictures in the order of my trip, you have to go to the last page, click on the last picture, and then view the pictures in reverse order. The captions for each picture are under the picture.

I can't wait to visit the other 70 ghost town sites on my list.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:48 PM   #2

Nice trip and nice pics!
LandyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:52 PM   #3

Garage
cool photos, thanks for sharing!

the one gravestone said something about being shot over a dispute about a dog? wow! the 1800's...cant even imagine. people today are wussies compared to the people who founded this nation.

we just visited some old homesteads and an old cemetery last weekend. lots of the same style graves with elaborate headstones and neat old cast iron fences/gates around them.

was the cathedral gorge park spires and hoodoos dirt or rock? looked like a really neat area.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
was the cathedral gorge park spires and hoodoos dirt or rock? looked like a really neat area.
They are dirt, caused by erosion. Some day they will all be gone.

I only took a few pictures and did not go on any of the hikes this time. It's a fun place to explore, with many old mines to explore near Pioche and Caliente.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:08 PM   #5

Garage
cool, i thought so. we stumbled upon some crazy outcroppings made of dirt this past weekend too, towards Nevada no doubt, lol... while they look completely different, I could tell they were similar just by your pix.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:59 PM   #6

Great pics, Mac.

I think I see an actual ghost in this one:

Old 11-16-2016, 10:31 AM   #7

Looks like some interesting places to explore. Thanks for sharing. It sure was a hard way to live back then.
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote