Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2018, 02:12 PM   #51

Garage
Thanks for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltilley View Post
Beautiful photos! As you go through the country I'd be interested in hearing your take on what it's like as far as crowds go. Iceland has been on my list for years but I have heard tourism has been growing something like 30% per year lately. I imagine where you will be going would be off the beaten path so likely less crowded.
Well, that trip was my third one in Iceland. I travelled there the first time about 25 years ago, then another trip 11 years ago, then this one.

To be honest, I was horified discovering what tour operators have made from Iceland in less than ten years. Every spot of the South Coast or Golden Circle has been fitted by huge parking lots, restaurants, hotels, etc. For example, we went to Skogafoss, one of the well known waterfall of South Coast in a really rainy day. It was about 6 PM and when we arrived there, not less than about 1,500 people where there! Can you just imagine that? There was 45-50 large buses, likely about 80 RV and 150-200 cars parked. We just didn't stop and went further.
We went quite early on the morning to another well known spot: Diamond beach. At 8 AM, there was already about 50 cars and more thant 10 RV + 6 large buses...

This happend only because Iceland is about 3 hours away from Europe and that tour operators are promoting this destination as a best deal since 6-8 years. Despite the very expensive life there, lots of people visit Iceland for 3 to 7 days, only going to the main spots along Road Nb 1, the paved road around the island.

We just gave up the idea of visiting the South Coast and fortunately, VivaLaVida allowed us to access the Highlands, where only serious capable offroad cars can access, mainly because of deep fords. Out of high season, there were a lot less people.

Actually, the parliament voted last september to ban boondocking all over the island. There is already prohibition sign everywhere along the coast but not to much yet in the highlands. Anyway, if you're unlucky and get spotted by a ranger, the fine is quite expensive. And as there is almost no tree to hide and that offroad is strictly vorbidden, it's difficult to find discret places.

All in one, each new year, it becomes worth and that's why I went back there this year as I wanted to show that place to my partner. But I will not go back there, definitely too crowed for me.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:09 PM   #52

Thanks for the feedback! That's a bit disappointing to hear. I assumed that was the case but was hoping it wasn't so. I still need to go but will just be ready for crowds and will rent something that will allow me to venture off the beaten path.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #53

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt View Post
Thanks for the comments.

Well, that trip was my third one in Iceland. I travelled there the first time about 25 years ago, then another trip 11 years ago, then this one.

To be honest, I was horified discovering what tour operators have made from Iceland in less than ten years. Every spot of the South Coast or Golden Circle has been fitted by huge parking lots, restaurants, hotels, etc.
Claude, Great Pics as usual!

I'm excited to see the rest of the Journey & am sorry that I did not visit before the current wave of tourism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltilley View Post
Thanks for the feedback! That's a bit disappointing to hear. I assumed that was the case but was hoping it wasn't so. I still need to go but will just be ready for crowds and will rent something that will allow me to venture off the beaten path.

We just got back - Rented 4x4 vans but were too late to really explore the Highlands so ended up doing the Ring Road. Claude is correct about the Golden Triangle/South Coast - What we found was that after getting more than a days drive away from Reykjavik the numbers of people completely dropped off.

If I get the opportunity to go back I would 100% focus on the Highlands to get away from people but the Ring was amazing and I would highly suggest it! Just plan on getting away from the masses quickly
dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #54

Garage
Excellent report and photos. Too bad about the crowds. Seems that is happening all over...
Old 11-03-2018, 01:06 PM   #55

Garage
Thou shalt not covet...
But I can't help it after seeing these pictures of your great adventure.
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:52 PM   #56

Garage
Thanks guys. I'm gonna try to find some time to post an update this weekend.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick View Post
Claude, Great Pics as usual!

I'm excited to see the rest of the Journey & am sorry that I did not visit before the current wave of tourism.

We just got back - Rented 4x4 vans but were too late to really explore the Highlands so ended up doing the Ring Road. Claude is correct about the Golden Triangle/South Coast - What we found was that after getting more than a days drive away from Reykjavik the numbers of people completely dropped off.

If I get the opportunity to go back I would 100% focus on the Highlands to get away from people but the Ring was amazing and I would highly suggest it! Just plan on getting away from the masses quickly
This is good to hear. The Ring is definitely on the list along with as much else as I can fit into the trip. I'm trying to make this the next big trip we do.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:11 PM   #58

My wife and I have been to Iceland twice. The first time in 2009 tourism was around 400k people annually. We hit the typical tourist spots (Golden Triangle, Jokulsarlon, etc)and made our way around the ring road, hitting smaller villages along the way as well. We visited again in 2016, which saw tourism increase to approximately 1.6 million annually. The increase was quite evident. We explored the interior on the 2nd trip, where there were not many tourists. It was much more isolated, and very beautiful. You will want an offroad capable vehicle. I would go back to Iceland but only in the offseason and hitting the non-typical tourist areas.
wish41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:47 AM   #59

Garage
Here in an update in Reykjaness and South Coast.

58. Steam spring.

59. Lava cliffs and needles

60. Lunch stop

61. Lake Kleifarvatn...

62. under a rain shower

63. Lava and mosses

64. Iceland is the land of rainbow!

65. Lava tunnel

66. Volcanic crater (panoramic assembly of 7 vertical images)

67. Pretty Vik's church

68. Touristic cliffs of Reynisfjara

69. Infinite beaches

70. Reynisfjara Beach from Dyrholaey

Will be continued soon.

Looking forward to our comments.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #60

Garage
Fantastic. Truly awesome photos of a beautiful place. Thanks for posting.