Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2010, 09:52 PM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
Re: Weekend Adventures for weekend warriors

Its funny when I hear the word fishing, that my ears perk up... Then I hear Fly and I get even crazier. Where we going?

Joe

jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #12

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

I gave up fly fishing long ago. Too cerebral I was a bass fisherman and did some of the Bassmasters but that was more like using a hammer.

I don't mind throwing a flat-fish or spinner in for trout. Frankly I don't care if I catch anything or not - its just good to go fishning.

Regards,

Keith
Old 01-25-2010, 11:35 PM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray

I completely understand. I've made the progression from naturals (white styro cups with worms), to plastics (plastic worms), to flies imitating insects - although haven't dropped fly fishing yet. I still love the flow of casting a fly line as it loads the rod, the sound of the line on the guides and watching tight loops unfurl only to watch the fish pounce on a dry fly seconds later. I'm always game to travel and fish...
Old 01-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #14

Fly fishing for me has always been the sound of my leader snapping off or the tug on the line from the bushes latching on to that fly. Someday I would like to learn how to really fish.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #15

My wife and I took up fly fishing maybe a dozen years ago. It is a great outdoors "activity" (she can't hike anymore) and we love the challenge of the sport...you need to pick the right color, size, and shape of the fly, figure out where the fish are in the stream, and then cast correctly so that the fly passes over the fish without spooking them. If you do all of this correctly, you have a micro-second to set the hook before the fish realizes that it isn't real and spits it out! You can practice casting, read books and talk to fly shops about the correct flies to use, and read books about the habits of the fish. But you can't practice sitting the hook until you get everything else right!

I doubt that we would get out as much as we do without being able to fly fish when we get there!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #16

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrray
I completely understand. I've made the progression from naturals (white styro cups with worms), to plastics (plastic worms), to flies imitating insects - although haven't dropped fly fishing yet. I still love the flow of casting a fly line as it loads the rod, the sound of the line on the guides and watching tight loops unfurl only to watch the fish pounce on a dry fly seconds later. I'm always game to travel and fish...
Wow, I remember the flow of ice cold water into my waders, the sound of my buddies scream as I hooked his ear, watching a protected species pounce on my fly. Those were the days.

Regards,

Keith
Old 01-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #17

nice. Could I film that?