Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #1

Weekend trip suggestions

Anyone have any suggestions for places to go 3 hrs or so from San Jose,Ca.Boondocking if possible ,would love to do some plinking with my kids. I was considering going out to Nv. Fallon but its just to much driving. Thanks for the help. Dave

unimogdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #2

Re: Weekend trip suggestions

With current gas prices, try your driveway. I'm getting ill.
Dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #3

Tell me about it, gas sucks now. I'm thinking about down 101 to Fort Hunter Liggit , their are a couple of small parks in the mountains just west of the Fort then to the coast to Andrew Molera State Park then up the coast to home.

Still open to any other suggestions!!!!!!! Thanks Dave
Old 02-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #4

We like the Santa Cruz, Bonny Doon, Scotts Valley/Felton area. Close to you, you can cruise the redwoods and turn off many a road and pop your top. No "campgrounds" per say, but nobody really cares.
Dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #5

Fort Hunter Ligget and the Los Padres National Forest have some excellent boondocking. Not sure if it is legal on the Fort, but I never asked. To cross the Fort, you must have your insurance papers. No insurance, no entry.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #6

I'v driven thought the fort several times and they are strict. They do have camping on the base but it sucks . Iv heard you can actually use their gun range if you get permission from the base commander, their is extensive hunting on the base as well. Its a very beautiful place. I wouldnt suggest bondocking on the base.

Dave
Old 02-23-2012, 06:37 AM   #7

On the way back from our Tour de Lost coast we stayed at

Henry Willard Coe State Park

not a plinkin range but a great spot

would be closed but for loal donations, open at least
2 more years

nice history of the place too
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #8

I always liked to hike at Pinnacles National Monument. Trails, funky rock formations and caves (take flashlights) for your kids to explore. They have a campground but I have never overnighted in the area. It is probably about 2hrs south of San Jose.
http://www.nps.gov/pinn/index.htm
9pb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #9

Thanks every one for the suggestions.Ended up going down to Fort Hunter, I did not have to show ID to get in, looks like they changed the gates around so you can drive through, What a beutiful place. Spent the night at Nacimiento camp ground . We were the only ones their and had lots of fun plinking away. Drove out to One then up to Phieffer State Park for a the night. And then back to S.J.. Did all this in one tank of gas!

Dave
Old 03-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #10

You might try Laguna Seca. The campground is very nice, just don't go on motogp weekend Even if there's a car event there's usually space available with great views; the track shuts down by about 4:30 usually. And there's a shooting range within the park.

Other good ones not mentioned:

Lime Kiln State Park: either shaded or beachfront camping below Big Sur. Plaskett is also nice, but I like Lime Kiln better.

Salt Point: best campground is Gerstler Cove; busy in summer but nicer in winter. Stillwater Cove, a county park nearby, is also nice but not on the water. Some nice backroads to cruise. Bodega Dunes isn't quite as nice, but often available when the others aren't.

Hollister Hills SVRA: stay somewhere at the upper ranch, or even at the motorcycle part. Noisy and frenetic, but you can see some really cool vehicles and driving. And cheap.

If you just want a nice camping weekend, try our East Bay Parks campgrounds: Del Valle (right on a reservoir, plus nice mountain biking and hiking) or Chabot (again, nice hiking and biking, and a nice shooting range on site which you may have seen on Mythbusters).

Some other state parks, if they're still open for camping: Mount Diablo (great views, and the whole mountain is closed at night so it's real quiet) or Big Basin (Berry Falls is a great hike in winter). And near the limit of your range is Morro Bay and/or Montana del Oro (the former has showers and whatnot, the latter is more primitive but prettier, especially with flowers in the spring). There is also a NF campground off 41 nearby but haven't tried it.

For something different try Brannan Island in the Delta. Not the nicest campground, but exploring the Delta is something fun to do, although having a boat is a big plus. Or if you like windsurfing.

That should get ya started.

Rob