Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2019, 07:44 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
So, figure out how to get away from the shop for two weeks. Drive two days to the BC Overland Rally at Whistler, open the van for folks to see, and the whole trip is tax deductible. After the rally, head North, for a week of exploring, then take a different route home, all in two weeks. Itll make a great video. The Reds should be running by the time we get there.
This. Excellent idea arctictraveller.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Still doing Tuk as well I assume?

Right, at least a month, I really wanted to do at least 2, but I need to be back by about Aug 14.
This trip is pretty well unscheduled for me. Other than picking up Mrs AT at the airport in Anchorage on July 24th, I'm not doing any serious planning, but rather just going where the mood strikes at the moment. I do plan to do some camping and fishing along the Keni, and visiting with friends. Along the way I expect to pass through Whitehorse, Dawson City, Top of the world hwy, Tok, Fairbanks, Denali park, Anchorage, and Homer. If anyone is interested, a side trip to Inuvic and Tuk is possible. That stretch of road is only for the very well prepared, as its hundreds of miles of nothing but wilderness, and if you break down, it will be VERY expensive getting back on the road again. The road eats tires and gas so extra fuel and a couple of spare tires are a really good idea, along with tools, spare parts, and the ability to install them. So, I'm open to meeting up with folks along the way, and as departure time gets closer more of a plan should begin to form, but one of the joys of retirement is the ability to explore at will, and avoid detailed planning. Coddiwampling at its best.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:31 PM   #13
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
We will be shoving off from Boulder sometime the beginning of June and make our way up through Wyoming and Montana and probably cross and stop at Waterton Lakes, which is the Canadian side of Glacier NP, pretty nice.
We’ll then head up through Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper. Not sure of our route after that, will have to see timing, we are meeting up with friends in Anchorage end of June/beginning of July.
Look forward to meeting up, fishing, hiking, exploring. We’ve got the whole summer and will definitely find ourselves down on the Kenai when the salmon are running. We’ve also got tickets to Salmon fest, an awesome little music festival in Ninilchik the first weekend in August.

https://salmonfestalaska.org
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:21 AM   #14

Garage
Hey Jeff, I had an idea after the BC Rally we could head North along the Fraser River on the route we took South on the Western Roaming Rally last year. It may be too early for the BC Ferry due to high water so we might have to bypass that part. Too bad, that's a great trail. I'd at least like to run that section of trail through the canyon that we missed north of the Big Bar camp. The folks on a short schedule might really like this route. We could get back on the road North at Williams Lake.
7oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:11 AM   #15

Garage
I like to travel unscheduled with no itinerary as well. My only firm date is being back by/on Aug 14th. I have been pondering flying to my commitment and returning to AK so I can spend more time.

It would be great meeting up with and/or traveling some with you all.

I also like fishing in AK. Fully understand about Tuk. I've done Deadhorse, no desire to do that again although I'd do Coldfoot/Wiseman. Did really like going over Atigun Pass. I did some of the Dempster, but they were laying calcium chloride (or whatever it is called) and we decided to turn around after a 100 or so miles. Did not get to McCarthy, weather was crap so I'd like to do that if possible. I'd like to spend some time on the Denali Hwy again.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #16

This all sounds good. I'm pretty much a non planner, I prefer to let others do the research. Eventually though, you have to have some sort of plan, so anyone wanting to join us could find us at the rally where we could do some basic route planning. From there, it won't be hard to lay out a week or so's worth of travel at a time. Then, when we find interesting side trips, we can modify as needed. Also, I find it difficult to travel in large groups, it just seems to work out better if we have a goal for the day, and folks depart camp in the morning on thier own schedule. Normally, some like to depart early, and others are slower breaking camp (me). Communication on the road is important too, be it C/B, FRS, or ham, you need something so you can chat with others on the road. I suspect we will run into others headed North at the rally too. This is going to be fun.......
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-29-2019, 01:56 PM   #17

Garage
Agree with all. If you remember, group travel was a subject of discussion right after the Roaming Rally last summer.

Part of the beauty of traveling in the van for me is an enhanced ability for meandering without plans. These days I really prefer not to be on a schedule while traveling.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #18

How much of Alaska can you see by driving? I was under the impression you need to fly everywhere since there aren't roads that connect much of the state. I know a few of the National Parks are fly-in or boat accessable only.

I made some rough estimates and assumed it would require 6 weeks to do an exploratory loop on what roads I could find driving from southern CA, which includes 10-11 days driving to and from the border. Even then that seems like just scratching the surface.
wantahertzdonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantahertzdonut View Post
How much of Alaska can you see by driving? I was under the impression you need to fly everywhere since there aren't roads that connect much of the state.
It's unlikely you could see all of Alaska by plane, boat, and driving combined. It's one fifth the size of all the lower 48 states combined, and over twice the size of Texas. A full summers worth of driving would barely scratch the surface. There is pretty much unlimited opportunity to explore, but if you prefer a quick trip to see all of a particular area, you can plan your adventure to fit into your alloted time frame. My first trip North was a two week motorcycle trip from S.F. to Fairbanks, Anchorage and back and I saw plenty, enough to lure me back for the next twenty years. Use your time wisely and you will have a blast, just don't expect to see everything in one trip. Buy a Milepost magazine to get an idea of what's available to see by road and add in some side trips to flight see, or take a day boat to visit glaciers and see whales. You won't regret it.
Advanced 4wd
Old 04-04-2019, 09:32 PM   #20
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Who's going to Alaska this summer?

Right, while there are vast stretches of wilderness unaccessible by car or any type of road-gravel, paved or otherwise, like much of the eastern and northern most territories and much of the inside passage (the capital of Juneau being one). There’s a ton of places that are though. Do a search here on the forum for some trip reports.
Here’s a neat visual aid and a bit o trivia, although it doesn’t really depict the roadways that exist.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4178.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	26516
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4179.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	26517
This should give you an idea of the hwy system....
https://www.alaskacenters.gov/trip-planning/travel/road
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote