Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 06:59 AM   #1

Garage
Queen bee

I am new, ready to replace my Sportmobile canvas popup with a brand new custom made one, copied exactly from the old and am re-lining the Fiberglas roof. Any suggestions or tips on easiest way to re-install the new canvas? I kept
Everything, as in the wood strips the canvas was screwed to which I will be copying and replacing. I presume I would screw the new canvas on with top off upside down, replace top on van and re-attach bottom of canvas inside at bottom to bus. Any advice on this re-install from past experience would be appreciated!

Old 03-19-2018, 11:55 AM   #2

It's pretty straight forward but not necessarily easy. I recommend getting a helper just for extra hands now and then. I've done one with the top on the van and one with the top flipped upside down off the van. They aren't heavy. Two adults can easily remove a top if you're careful.

Several here including me have documented the process. I'm thinking Bemerritt and Boywonder have done them as well. Look through all of our build threads.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:12 PM   #3

Try 'The Samba', a forum that specializes in VW's. Like here, there's an absolute treasure trove of knowledge pertaining to acvw's, including campers. I know I read about the topic in the past (they host their own pics, so no third party pics 'lost in the ether' either)

I have a couple friends who work on a lot of vw campers, they hang out on that forum a lot.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/se...search_forum=5
Old 03-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks, super work on yours BTW!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:24 PM   #5

Garage
Thanks for the comments! Yes I go on the Samba too but rare to find another 72VW transporter with a Sportmobile popup I will keep looking there and check the forum. Appreciate it!