Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #11

Lots of guys on here with tons of experience. Some of what you do depends on your location and emissions regulations. Whether you can delete or not etc. We have 4 6.0’s that we have gone through at the 180k mile mark just to make more reliable. 3 were body off and one pulled out the front. Not a ton of difference in time. We’d be happy to help with input or in any way we can. Good luck

gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #12

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...lem-19438.html
Here is a thread from not long ago that revolves around the subject of 6.0 reliability. It was started by member Cupajoe when they had an engine issue in death valley. It's all pertinent info but I would direct your attention to post #16 where JoeH shared a tidy list of improvements (what I would consider the gold standard) to do for maximum reliability. I've done all of them I think except head studs and injectors on mine (I'm about to turn 100k miles). In that same post JoeH shares a link to another thread that is also a good read along the same lines.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #13

To corroborate what's been said here about the BPD oil cooler, my mechanic told me to save my money as well. In fact, I had the body off to replace an injector as well as the stand pipe, and dummy plugs and was willing to address most anything within reason while the body was off and he said don't do it. My factory cooler worked fine and I drove it up many grades on some pretty hot days. He did mention that Ford at some point upgraded the factory cooler and added two more rows of cooling channels to it so that could be something to consider. But if its working fine Im in the camp of keeping what you've got. I'd did do the recommended coolant flush and upgraded my EGR to a new location outside of the van.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
I'd did do the recommended coolant flush and upgraded my EGR to a new location outside of the van.
Funny. I also found an external location.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #15

Hey Pat O : I’m in San Diego too. I see you have the BOD and a coolant filter installed on your 6.0. Can you recommend a mechanic you have used? Looking to install the same mods on my 6.0 too.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #16

The factory oil cooler cools fine. That was never the problem. The issue is they block coolant to the EGR cooler if it plugs with coolant beads or casting sand. The casting sand is addressed with the coolant filter. The coolant beads are addressed by either frequent changes of the gold stuff, or converting to CAT/Cummins ELC.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
Hey Pat O : I’m in San Diego too. I see you have the BOD and a coolant filter installed on your 6.0. Can you recommend a mechanic you have used? Looking to install the same mods on my 6.0 too.
Buds diesel in orange county did mine. I will say, with the oil cooler mounted in my aluminess bumper, my temps are almost always 190/188. If I'm going up a steep grade I might see 210/210.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
The factory oil cooler cools fine. That was never the problem. The issue is they block coolant to the EGR cooler if it plugs with coolant beads or casting sand. The casting sand is addressed with the coolant filter. The coolant beads are addressed by either frequent changes of the gold stuff, or converting to CAT/Cummins ELC.
Yep coolant filter. Make sure and do the coolant filter if you're putting some money into it. Pretty inexpensive insurance.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #19

Thanks again everybody for the replies. I know previous owner said he replaced the oil cooler, but I don't know what he did as far as the coolant and everything. Would just taking it in to the Ford service center be a bad idea, or would I be better off finding a dedicated diesel mechanic in the Phoenix area?
ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:11 PM   #20

Personally I trust basically zero to stealerships.

There's an excellent diesel shop in Oxnard, CA called Ultimate Truck Performance. They really know their way around the 6.0. You might call them for a reference in the Phoenix area.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6.0, bulletproof, diesel