Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 12:55 PM   #61

It’s an SCT X4 tuner. I plugged it in and it was programmed to “street”, whatever that means. I changed it to “towing 65mph” which I imagine should be safer. I’m a Mac user so unfortunately I don’t have the ability to update the tuner itself, but of the 4 options preloaded - street, towing 50mph, towing 65mph, trans only - that seemed the safest for keeping temps down. The EGR OFF toggle was turned off as well, I’ve got a BPD EGR cooler and oil cooler so hopefully that system is all fine now. We will see if that brings the temps down.

ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #62

dubes... I would not be pushing that van with that weight up I 17 grades at that speed. Mine too got pretty hot but I just slowed it down and kept the engine from running too hot. There are limitations. Come to think of it - I don't even go 80 in this vehicle on level ground as the SMB 4x4 suspension and all isn't that great for handling. 73 is about my comfort level.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndubes View Post
It’s an SCT X4 tuner. I plugged it in and it was programmed to “street”, whatever that means. I changed it to “towing 65mph” which I imagine should be safer. I’m a Mac user so unfortunately I don’t have the ability to update the tuner itself, but of the 4 options preloaded - street, towing 50mph, towing 65mph, trans only - that seemed the safest for keeping temps down. The EGR OFF toggle was turned off as well, I’ve got a BPD EGR cooler and oil cooler so hopefully that system is all fine now. We will see if that brings the temps down.
Nubes, here's the rub. You need to find out what those tunes are. The pre-loaded canned tunes that come on the SCT were written for a truck. They have different fueling tables, etc. On the other hand they shouldn't even work on a van because the vans have a different strategy. My guess is with the word "street" in it that you have tunes written by Eric at Innovative Diesel. SCT X4 Tuner - Innovative Diesel Performance

The Street tune is somewhat aggressive for a van at 380 rwhp which would explain your temps although they still don't seem that hot to me. I would be more concerned about what your EGTs were? Are you monitoring that?
Using the tow-haul switch will rev the engine higher and keep the temps down on long grades.

In terms of the "safest" thing to do, it would be returning it to stock. That should be an option in the device menu. You should do that if you need to get an emissions test. You can email the tuner's serial # to Innovative and see if they've written tunes for your rig. When you change tunes like going to the tow tune (which is indeed safer) then you want to make sure that you also change the options for gear ratio and tire size (or make sure they didn't change). The trans only is also the stock tune with just some transmission tuning for crisper, faster shifts.

While I also use an SCT tuner and have tried tunes from 4 different tune writers, including Innovative, I don't have experience on a Mac OS. Maybe someone can chime in here but I think you can use Parallel so you can run windows. https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #64

I agree with Joe. Those tunes could be from anybody or the canned tunes. You'd want to confirm if you can where they came from. Actually when you plug it in you can either select custom tunes or stock tunes. If the ones you are accessing are in the custom tune menu of the SCT unit then they aren't the canned ones.

Also for clarity, those likely are 50 hp tow and 65 hp tow not mph. If you find they are from a reputable tuner then I'd think you're fine running it at either the 50 or 65 level.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #65

Sct Canned tunes will not work on Vans. When you go to that section on the device.... it says unsupported vehicle
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #66

Messed with the SCT a bunch this morning, when I plugged it in I wasn't getting a "stock tunes" or "custom tunes" option, it just said "Program" and then when I went into that menu it just gave me the 4 options I mentioned earlier (street, tow, trans, etc). So I decided to connect to my home wifi and update the software on the unit - 339 files! Took literally an hour and a half, and that had to be done while connected to my ODB2 while just using battery power so I was happy the van still started when I was done! Anyway once that was done the "stock tune" showed up in the program menu so I uploaded that to the van successfully. Hopefully that helps it run a little cooler and safer.

FYI I did call SCT and they confirmed there's no support for Mac, I'm planning on just selling the tuner at this point and keeping the van at stock. We won't ever tow more than maybe 2-3,000lbs anyway.

My understanding was there is no way to monitor the EGT temps with the Scangauge without some additional hardware, is that not true? I would definitely like to if I can but I'm not sure how to do it.
ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:49 AM   #67

Yes you will have to hardwire a pyrometer probe. Drill a hole for the probe pre turbo or post turbo exhaust.
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #68

Autometer makes a nice EGT gauge and pillar mount for vans that matches the Ford green really well. A reasonably priced endeavor to have added especially considering what you've spent already.

If I were you I'd keep the SCT unit and drive it around stock for awhile. You may find you want a little more throttle response and a little more power which really is pretty safe given what you've done. A custom tune done by one of the reputable outfits may be something you decide you want.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
Autometer makes a nice EGT gauge and pillar mount for vans that matches the Ford green really well. A reasonably priced endeavor to have added especially considering what you've spent already.

If I were you I'd keep the SCT unit and drive it around stock for awhile. You may find you want a little more throttle response and a little more power which really is pretty safe given what you've done. A custom tune done by one of the reputable outfits may be something you decide you want.
This^^^. Your going to miss that extra power. At least I would. I'm quite happy with an 80 HP daily driver tune from Power Hungry Performance. I have an autometer pyro as well with the gauge mounted in the dash. If you decide to keep the tuner (remember that it is locked to your vehicle) then consider simply buying a $150 Notebook with windows to run the SCT Uploader software.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:55 PM   #70

Autometer gauges are overpriced, imho.

I went with Hewitt Industries Pyro 0 to 1600 and a Boost to 0-30
https://hewittindustries.com/gauges/

Figured if they are good enough for airplanes, they will be just fine for the van. They look great and work excellent.

If anyone here is interested in a two gauge pillar mounted pod, I have one I have been meaning to post up for sale. It is this one:

https://www.autometer.com/2-1-16-dua...van-92-00.html $30 plus shipping?? Brand new in the box.

Two gauges is the max I would EVER go on the pillar. Three creates a huge blind spot between gauges, pillar and side mirror.

Tags
6.0, bulletproof, diesel