Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #71

I ordered this glow shift pyrometer/boost/temp gauge from amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think I'll just find a way to mount it into the dash. What’s a normal and an alarming EGT by the way?

Actually just found out I'm going to be towing a buddy's 28ft travel trailer up to flagstaff in a couple of weeks so maybe I will use that SCT tow tune on the way up, but will certainly take it slower this time. I think I will keep the tuner for now as everyone suggested, can't hurt and there's no rush to get rid of it. I'll search the forums for suggestions on any custom tunes and if any sound like must-haves maybe i'll get a cheap windows laptop to use it.

ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:10 PM   #72

You could buy the tune through your local diesel shop and have them load the hand held SCT device for you. That’s what I did if I remember correctly.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:46 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndubes View Post
I ordered this glow shift pyrometer/boost/temp gauge from amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think I'll just find a way to mount it into the dash. What’s a normal and an alarming EGT by the way?

Actually just found out I'm going to be towing a buddy's 28ft travel trailer up to flagstaff in a couple of weeks so maybe I will use that SCT tow tune on the way up, but will certainly take it slower this time. I think I will keep the tuner for now as everyone suggested, can't hurt and there's no rush to get rid of it. I'll search the forums for suggestions on any custom tunes and if any sound like must-haves maybe i'll get a cheap windows laptop to use it.
There's plenty of room in the dash for sure. Normal or max EGTs depends on whether you mount the probe pre- or post-turbo in the downpipe. There are valid reasons for either but most do it in the manifold. Downpipe and you don't risk the chance of metal shavings going through your turbo. The main purpose is to monitor cylinder temps so ideally you want it as close the cylinders as possible without being in the direct path of the outlet of the exhaust port... so exhaust manifold is best.

With a 40HP FICM tune, 80 HP PCM tune, stage 1.5 turbo, and a free flowing exhaust my EGTs while cruising are 800-900F, 1000-1100F on mild acceleration and 1200-1300F WOT. I back off when I hit 1200F. Generally I use the tow-haul switch on long grades to downshift and keep a higher rpm. That prevents the engine from lugging in OD and lowers EGTs. You can also get a tune that actually deletes OD when using the tow-haul switch. Unlike the 7.3 with the 4R100 where OD can be turned off the 5R100 still has OD but just with modified shift points when tow-haul is engaged. Note that the lever says OD off but it's a hand-me-down from the 2003 and older vans. You can't turn OD off on the 6.0 with the 5R100 unless you do it with a custom tune.

Contact info for the main players in tuning the 6.0 can be found here: Contact Info for 6.0 Tuners - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

I've tried tunes from 4 different tuners and like the ones from Innovative Diesel and Power Hungry Performance the best. The shifting was too harsh with the tunes from Gearhead and TSD never could get it right for a van.
Attached Thumbnails
autometer gauges.jpg  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:56 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Autometer gauges are overpriced, imho.

I went with Hewitt Industries Pyro 0 to 1600 and a Boost to 0-30
https://hewittindustries.com/gauges/

Figured if they are good enough for airplanes, they will be just fine for the van. They look great and work excellent.

If anyone here is interested in a two gauge pillar mounted pod, I have one I have been meaning to post up for sale. It is this one:

https://www.autometer.com/2-1-16-dua...van-92-00.html $30 plus shipping?? Brand new in the box.

Two gauges is the max I would EVER go on the pillar. Three creates a huge blind spot between gauges, pillar and side mirror.
Those are great prices for the kit, but will not make sense for people who already have SCT. At-least in my case I can buy https://www.4wd.com/p/sct-programmer...xoCBZQQAvD_BwE made by SCT and it plugs right in my Liverwire and I can see the temps there with all the other stuff.
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:23 AM   #75

Sorry —. Liver-wire, yikes!!!!!
Old 05-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #76

Quote:
Do you mean they are not good? I have the Livewire TS+..... got it used...... can sell it at the same price if there's something better out there.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:38 PM   #77

You had made a typo - LiverWire instead of LiveWire. Thought it was funny
Old 05-24-2018, 02:42 PM   #78
Site Team

Garage
I've ran SCT and DP tunes. At least on my DP, all my temps run lower than the stock tune so I'd also suggest to try a custom SCT tune. I didn't like the canned SCT tunes when I was running them but know nothing about SCT's custom stuff. Switched tuner to a DP 60hp and had them adjust my fan to operate in a more aggressive mode. My EGT alarm set is 1200 and I rarely hit that anymore as compared to the SCT 50 tow tune. That tuner was a hand held model and the DP is dash mount so I can monitor several parameters with one glance. One friend blew his bullet proofed 6.0 up pulling a cargo trailer over a pass with an SCT tune so you still want to take care with pulling heavy loads up steep grades. From what I've found, downshifting and running higher RPMs helps to keep the EGT temps a bit lower on steep grades.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #79
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
...From what I've found, downshifting and running higher RPMs helps to keep the EGT temps a bit lower on steep grades.
Same advice I was given re: my 7.3L Excursion. The fan is driven off a pulley so higher engine RPMs = higher fan rotation. When my fan clutch was bad, I had a hard time controlling temps when towing uphill.

Herb
Old 05-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #80

Quote:
Quote:
You had made a typo - LiverWire instead of LiveWire. Thought it was funny
Did have to sell my Liver to get that wired

Tags
6.0, bulletproof, diesel