Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2018, 08:05 PM   #1

20lb propane tank storage ideas

We are getting ready to go on a cross country trip in our SMB Chateau build (just passenger van converted to 4x4 by SMB) in a little over a month. We have a little propane fire pit we love and want to take with us but I’m trying to find ideas for storing a propane tank or two. I really don’t want to put these inside the van, I can put them on our roof rack but the van is already 8 ft tall. I was wondering if anybody has found a good way to store tanks on the aluminess bumper attachments? We have the spare tire and deluxe box attachments. I have an email in to aluminess but don’t see anything on their website for propane tanks.

ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #2

Garage
Just a few items to clarify:

1. Are you talking about DOT tanks or ASME cylinders? These are two different animals. I ask because you are calling them tanks, but I'm pretty sure you mean cylinders. Propane tanks are designed for permanent mounting outside a home or under an RV. DOT cylinders are designed to be removed from their mounting to be filled. An example of a cylinder would be a 20lb cylinder found on pretty much any backyard barbeque. Cylinders and tanks have different mounting requirements and considerations.

2. What size is your cylinder or tank? (Cylinders are sized in pounds; tanks are sized in gallons). Size matters when it comes to thinking about mounting/storage locations.

3. Propane containers are designed to vent when they warm up. Consequently, they should never be stored inside a vehicle due to the boom factor when a bit of venting is met with a random spark.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:55 PM   #3

Referring to the cylinders, something I can do a quick exchange for at any circle K. When I noted the 20lb size in the subject (maybe you didn't see that) I figured everyone would know what I was talking about. So yeah, obviously not storing them inside the van, looking for solutions for storing them outside.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndubes View Post
Referring to the cylinders, something I can do a quick exchange for at any circle K. When I noted the 20lb size in the subject (maybe you didn't see that) I figured everyone would know what I was talking about. So yeah, obviously not storing them inside the van, looking for solutions for storing them outside.
You are right, my bad. I managed to read past the subject, then got hung up on "tank" in the body.

In any event, as you are probably aware, ASME tanks that are built for mounting to vehicles are engineered and tested to withstand the forces associated with an impact. DOT cylinders are constructed from much lighter materials, and are not impact resistant. This is why they are generally not used in RV applications. Some travel trailers use them--typically mounted on the trailer tongue, where they have at least some protection from impact.

Personally, I would be disinclined to put a cylinder on either bumper, just because the risk of impact there is reasonably high, and, under those circumstances, the probability of a release of propane is high, and the probability of generation of a spark is high. Thus, the probability of a resultant detonation of the entire cylinder is also reasonably strong.

Clearly, I'm not going to be much help on this one. I hope you are able to find a good solution.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
I had Aluminess make a custom box large enough to hold a couple of tanks (a five gal & a 1 gal), my propane heater and my BBQ. I don't want any of that stuff inside.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
You are right, my bad. I managed to read past the subject, then got hung up on "tank" in the body.

In any event, as you are probably aware, ASME tanks that are built for mounting to vehicles are engineered and tested to withstand the forces associated with an impact. DOT cylinders are constructed from much lighter materials, and are not impact resistant. This is why they are generally not used in RV applications. Some travel trailers use them--typically mounted on the trailer tongue, where they have at least some protection from impact.

Personally, I would be disinclined to put a cylinder on either bumper, just because the risk of impact there is reasonably high, and, under those circumstances, the probability of a release of propane is high, and the probability of generation of a spark is high. Thus, the probability of a resultant detonation of the entire cylinder is also reasonably strong.

Clearly, I'm not going to be much help on this one. I hope you are able to find a good solution.
You bring up some very good points, we used to tow a little pop up trailer and had propane on the tongue as you mentioned, which was really nice to have. Now we're towing a turtleback trailer but there's no space on it for any extra propane. Maybe having a trailer behind us reduces the risk of detonation in the event of a rear end collision, similar to the thought process of having it on the trailer tongue.

I'm thinking I might have to reach out to Aluminess to see if they could make a different deluxe box, something with some louvers on it to vent would be a good idea. I didn't know they did custom work at all.. .
Old 06-17-2018, 12:49 AM   #7

I carry one in my deluxe box. With all the tanks out there, you just don't see news stories of them exploding. DOT would not let them out there if they were a problem.
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:19 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndubes View Post
...I’m trying to find ideas for storing a propane tank or two. I really don’t want to put these inside the van, I can put them on our roof rack but the van is already 8 ft tall. I was wondering if anybody has found a good way to store tanks on the aluminess bumper attachments? We have the spare tire and deluxe box attachments.
Why don't you mount something like this on the top of your Aluminess Box:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNIVERS...4AAOxyOypSaSX~

Dont see why you'd even have to remove the tank - make a long gas line, and just connect the line to the Tank when you need propane

In the event you were in an accident (baring an 18-wheeler) believe the tank would be well above any immediate impact zone.

Tags
aluminess, propane