Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #11

Re: 4" Turbo back Exhaust installed on a 7.3L

The extra torque could be causing your torque converter clutch to slip, which will create heat. You may want to look into the Banks TransCommnand, if the pipe wrap doesn't help.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #12

Certainly had not thought about that one. I'll look into it if the wrap doesn't work.
Thanks.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Did it work?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #14

Not sure if it worked yet. I did get it wrapped, but haven't pulled any significant grades yet. On the smaller hills it seems to be running cooler.

I found the exhaust against the transmission for about 2 square inches. Was able to get some separation even with the wrap so thinking positive.

I'll report back when I know more.
Tom.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by panion
Not sure if it worked yet. I did get it wrapped, but haven't pulled any significant grades yet. On the smaller hills it seems to be running cooler.

I found the exhaust against the transmission for about 2 square inches. Was able to get some separation even with the wrap so thinking positive.

I'll report back when I know more.
Tom.
Tom is it just because of the size of the exhaust tubes itself or did they not bend it out enough to gain clearance? FWIW I wrapped my stock exhaust and it kept my trany temps from going over 220.

Looking forward to your solution.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #16

I have the 3.5" downpipe to 4" exhaust system. It definitely made a difference. I also wrapped the the pre-turbo pipes, downpipe and exhaust past the transmission. My van has the gauges (exhaust temp, tans temp and boost guages). I found the trans temp didn't change much from the factory exhaust, but it still ran in the 180-210 degree range on longer runs. Then I added a Banks Transcommand. That helped drop the trans temps a little, but the shift patterns were not very good (I did not like it at all!) Then I got a custom programmed Bill's Chip with 4 different programs plus stock settings and removed the Transcommand. That made a huge difference. I've found it gave a big boost in engine power, it reduced the exhaust temps even more, the transmission downshifts way less on the freeway, the shift patterns are solid and predictable, the torgue converter holds tighter and the trans temps now run much cooler, especially going up/down long grades or towing the trailer. It also improved my gas mileage on the freeway. It does smoke a little more when i put my foot down and I have to keep an eye on the turbo boost as it can create over-boost situations.

In summary - if you have the exhaust and the guages, you'll want the chip! Bill's work can now be found at: http://www.gopowerhungry.com - check out the Phoenix 6 position chip. You can use his programs and/or create your own. It's the way to go.

-Marc
2000 EB50 Q4x4 PSD MTN VAN
MtnVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Tom is it just because of the size of the exhaust tubes itself or did they not bend it out enough to gain clearance? FWIW I wrapped my stock exhaust and it kept my trany temps from going over 220.

Looking forward to your solution.

Dave

It's a bit of both Dave. There isn't much room there. I'm still amazed it fit as well as it did.
Tom.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #18

I agree on the power chip Marc. I've had the bully dog installed for some time now. It's one of the main reasons I've wanted the exhaust.
Tom.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #19

Marc, what is the size and weight of your trailer? I too tow with my EB 50 and 7.3psd. I also did the 4" pipe and exhaust mod as well as the Superchip Tow program and the Bullydog Transmission pressure upgrade kit. I have been running these mods since 2006 and overall have been happy with one exception. I would like to move the torque convertor lock-up speed from it's stock 53/55 mph to around 50. I know we cannot move it much lower because of the risk of over powering the motor which has no intercooler to reduce injected heat generated by high torque at low rpm. I find this issue is not a problem when I am in van mode. However when towing the noise and slippage of the tranny between 50 and 60 mph seems unnecessary.

I have not read anywhere that this shift can be reprogrammed? Perhaps you have heard something?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

I just had my '08 diesel smog tested yesterday and the guy asked me if there were any aftermarket engine "modifications" such as chips,exhausts, etc. I told him no and he said good, because if there were, he wouldn't smog it.
Just a word to the wise for you California diesel van owners.
Bill