Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2011, 11:25 AM   #31

Re: 4" Turbo back Exhaust installed on a 7.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat
Not sure what that thread reference was supposed to say with respect to this thread which, is largely about chips and trannies. That reference is about tranny temps. I had seen it on a prior research mission and absolutley categorically reject its conclusions which amongst others are: stick to dino fluid for transmissions; and wrapping exhausts pipes and/or turbos reduces EGT.

From the original poster:
"Found another down side to the new exhaust system. My transmission temps are as high as I've ever seen them on a long hot climb. I'm guessing the new exhaust comes much closer to the transmission and cooling lines so it's heating everything up. In fact the new exhaust is within a 1/4 inch of the transmission now. I'm going to wrap the exhaust from the turbo back and see if that helps."

From daveb....this same thread...
"Tom is it just because of the size of the exhaust tubes itself or did they not bend it out enough to gain clearance? FWIW I wrapped my stock exhaust and it kept my trany temps from going over 220.

Looking forward to your solution.

Dave"

For those that might have the same exhaust system, the same issue, or are just interested in others findings it might be useful info. For you it might not be. That is why I put a link...
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #32

Aplogies - I see what you mean now.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat
Aplogies - I see what you mean now.
No worries thanks for the apology. On the topic of shift points I would also like to know. When I run the middle tune on my Edge I can tell the tranny shifting isn't in sync with what the engine is trying to do. Edge has another module, maybe the Juice?, that can do some tranny shift adjusting but the last time I checked it wasn't available for my van.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #34

And that's been my read of the status - that there are no shift tuners available for our version of the 7.3 psd. Bully Dog and others have some mods that increase the tranny pressures so that shifts are more definite. I have this mod and its definitely an improvement without being jerky. But the effect of a 4" down and exhaust pipe and the Tow tune program from Super Chips is enough of an improvement in torque to make a 55 mph lock up an unnecessary evil. Promotes more noise and slip and hence heat. I have owned turbo charged cars and planes back into the 60s and I have never see an observation that wrapping turbo and/or exhaust will lower EGTs. Of course it might depend on where the probe is attached but intuitively wrapping should preserve heat to be expelled from the exhaust outlet.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #35

I can verify that the shift points are different with the different programs on my Bill's chip programmer. I have 5 programs loaded and switching between them changes the shift points. In reading the discussion thread you posted, Bill's programs are not "end user" adjustable, however, each program can be set-up specifically - but not changed on the fly once created/installed. They can tune your van to shift as you want - that's exectly what he did for me. YTou just can't change the program after you get the chip. With that said, i did have to send the chip back one time for some tweaks to two of my programs which cost a few extra $, but I got what I wanted. And shift points were part of what I wanted changed.

Marc
MtnVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #36

Thanks Marc - that's what I am looking for. I will contact them.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Thanks Tom. Worth looking into. It's something I've been wanting to do for some time. I would like to see better power off the line and was hopeing the exhaust mod might help. Maybe even get lower EGT's???

Dave.
FYI, the 6.0 has a 3.5" downpipe and 4" stainless steel after that. Once you remove the cat on the OEM 6.0 system, there really is no gain unless you can get a 4" down pipe to fit. Removing the cat will lower your EGT and free it up a lot, but no major performance gain.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #38

I've finally driven enough to be able to answer the question of whether or not the wrap helped on the exhaust. Short answer is yes. Is the problem fixed completely? Short answer is probably. I haven't seen high temps since the wrap.

Now for the long version.
I've put a few thousand miles on the van since wrapping the exhaust. Those miles have been in cooler climates and I suspect not as much steady climbing. I have yet to verify on a long steady climb here in the southwest. The climb out of Phoenix on I-17 is the perfect test. Unfortunately I won't be going there any time in the near future so this is the best answer you get. The other issue is that I did get my new tires. I went from just under 33" bfg's to just over 34" toyo AT's. It changed my gearing enough to have made a difference when climbing a long grade. It's a big difference for the transmission. I currently have 3.73 gears and I'm now considering changing to 4.11. Is the transmission heating up a bit more pulling the larger tires, probably. Too many variables. Bottom line would I do it again. A definite yes.

Hope that helps.
Tom.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote