Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
Site Team

A/C system improvements

OK, most of the time it's not an issue, but last year while in AZ and NM, the front dash A/C and the rear 12V A/C system (not Starcool or any of those variants), could not keep up with the heat. Admittedly, the red paint and many windows didn't help the situation. Last time I was at SMBw, I had them check the refrigerant and I was told it was OK. All window excepts the windshield and drivers and passenger doors are tinted. I plan on eventualy tinting the door windows too.

I have two thoughts about possible improving the A/C situation that I want to bounce off people. I know not many people have the rear 12V A/C system, but here goes.

1) Insulate the refrigerant lines that go front the front sytem to the rear system. I'm not sure I have it completly correct, but the two systems are coupled, sharing refrigerant. The lines between the two I don't believe are insulated. Does anyone have recommendations on what sort of insulator I should use?

2) Found this item discussed on another board. Sounds like an easy install, except nothing is easy to install in a van, so I need to make sure I install it in the right place. If I'm not comfortable doing it, I may have SMB install one next time I'm up there. At least on my van, even on Vent, the air is quite warm, and this may explain why.

"In a 2003-2006 Superduty(6.0L Powerstroke) hot engine coolant is flowing through the heater core whenever the heat or Air Conditioning is turned on. The system does not differentiate between the two. This is fine when you are running your heater. However, running the Air Conditioner is a different story. When your AC is on, your cold air is not only flowing across the evaportator coil but it also flows past the heater coil which has hot engine coolant flowing through it. Even with the air flow diverted around the heater core, the heater is still emitting heat just like a radiator. This results in a very inefficient air conditioning system in these vehicles.

This DIESELSITE Air Conditioning Control Valve will automatically shut off coolant flow through the heater core when MAX AC selected. The result is a decrease in duct temperature by 10 degrees or more which will be felt through your vent openings into the cab. This gets COLD!

Install takes about 15 minutes and requires no special tools. Everything you need is included in the kit. Full detailed instructions including color pictures are included."

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?Pag ... ProdID=473

Herb

Old 02-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #2

I'm down for that, as soon as I get my AC back on it's feet.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
I looked at those last year. Will SMB install it?

On a side note, I lost my coolant from the stock AC. SMB said there was no problem because the Starcool is tied to the stock system and the starcool seemed to be working OK. I did a bunch of temperature checks on of all the ducts(stock and SC) and asked SMB to double check the system before I was to take it to a AC mechanic. I asked about some kind of check valve. They did find a problem with the coolant. They didn't know how this happened and figured there must be some kind of check valve as the complete system should have evacuated. This took time to figure out and a couple of trips to Fresno.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
I understand from new owners that Starcool is not an option at SMB anymore.

DaveB

Old 02-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #5

They changed what they call it - it's now the Danhard system (which is the company that makes it in Dallas.) I have the new system on my rig.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Same system new name? Thought Danhard was a different company.
Dave.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:44 AM   #7

The way it was explained to me by the TX folks is that it's the same supplier.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:32 AM   #8

i also thought its a different system that does not link with engine
AC so that it can also be used in sprinter van.

does it actually work for a few hours with a battery?. does it really work
with Honda eu2000

gerry
Old 02-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #9
Site Team

Nice thread hijack guys. The original post specifically stated this was NOT about Starcool or any variant of Starcool, and only two of the replies actually responded to my questions. The Starcool / Danhard / AC issues deserve their own topic, and Thread title so people can find the right posts.

Herb
Old 02-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Nice thread hijack guys. The original post specifically stated this was NOT about Starcool or any variant of Starcool, and only two of the replies actually responded to my questions. The Starcool / Danhard / AC issues deserve their own topic, and Thread title so people can find the right posts.

Herb
Ha! Agreed. But we all get off topic now and then, yah?

Herb, this link you noted is now on my list of upgrade considerations, especially since the parts themselves aren't that expensive. If anyone does this upgrade, would be nice to know how it works.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote