Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2008, 08:23 AM   #1

Additional water tank

I'm looking to increase my fresh water carrying capacity by adding a second tank under the couch in my EB50 style van. Has anyone added a second tank to the right of the standard 10 gallon water tank under the seat or had their van come standard with two tanks under the couch?

[/img][img]

If you could provide photos of the installation or comments on the installation that could help me out would be appreciated. I have an email into Peter at SMBW as well to see if this is a standard option that I can just purchase the tank from them.

Thanks -
Phil[/img]

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #2

Phil,

Couple of notes that may (or may not!) be helpful.

A. Note that the "10 gal tank" is not 10 gal. It is 9 gal (I ordered a 10 gal tank, but it has 9 gal printed on the top), and holds about 8 that are usable....

B. If you search the SMB yahoo groups for water tanks, I recall that someone noted at least one company (US Plastic???) that had a HUGE selection of different size tanks, and would put the connections any place you wanted them, allowing one to have a totally sweet custom tank system. Here is one option:
http://www.watertanks.com/rectangulartanks/
and
http://www.watertanks.com/category/16/

I think a custom tank will allow you to squeeze in a larger volume of water than just another stock SMB tank. You could probably even replace the current "10 gal" tank with a larger one in the same space; my current "10 gal" tank could easily be replaced with one longer and wider and still fit in the same space.

C. I saw someone talk about the collapsible RV tanks and using that as a backup/secondary tank. Has anyone here researched using one of these in, say, a plastic bin screwed to the floor in Phil's suggested location to keep it from sliding around? I can't seem to find what I saw last year on a google search... but I swear I saw it.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #3

Garage
I am also thinking about adding a larger or additional tank. My situation is a little trickier w/ the fact that my inverter is on the driver side of the stock 10 gal tank.

Any ideas??

-d
Old 01-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #4

kzemach -

A. Yep, I know it really isn't 10 gal., but I call it that since SMB does.

B. There is a few companies out their that make these and I will most likely go to one of them.

C. You bring up a good point. I'm mostly doing this for our Alaska trip this summer, but on a regular basis I don't need the extra water capacity. Perhaps a quasi-permanent / removable solution would be better. We do like using that space for a plastic bin for with replacement beverages for the fridge or for a spot to throw hiking boots. I may have to re-think this. Let me know if you find the link you were looking for.

Thanks -
Phil

Old 01-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #5

If you're doing the Alaska trip in the summer... you could perhaps instead mod your system in the following way (which will require some PEX work, but adding a tank will anyway).

A. Add a three way valve on either side of the pump.
B. The intake side of the pump, one "source" goes to your regular tank, the other goes to a separate pex line that goes to the back of the van along the passenger's side out near one of the rear doors and terminates in a quick connect that can connect to the short garden hose with quick connect (see my water fill soln)
C. One the outflow side (of the pump), one outflow goes to your system as usual, and the other goes into the fill line for your tank.

Now, you carry extra water in Jerry cans on the back. When your main tank gets low, you snap the hose on the rear pex connection, drop the hose in the jerry can, turn the source valve to come from the jerry can, turn the outflow to go into your tank, and fill you tank from the rear jerry can using the pump.

Just a thought...
Amsoil
Old 01-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #6

Hmmm, on second thought, you're probably right. Probably easier to add a second water tank with three way valves, and then just remove it after the summer.
Amsoil
Old 01-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #7

I like the three way valve approach regardless of where my second water source is. My plan was to tie the existing and new tank together and let them fill / drain together. Having an A/B source selection does make it so I can remove the B source when not needed.

I'm not really set up for jerry cans, so I'm still thinking under the couch. I do need to look under the rear passenger side of the bed where the furnace and water heater is to see if I can squeeze one in there. If I recall, there really isn't much space + the water would get warm just from radiant heat from the furnace + more weight behind the axle, so only good thing is it is space I currently don't use for anything.

Something to think about.

Thanks -
Phil

Old 01-28-2008, 02:43 PM   #8

OK, then your job just got a lot easier. The ONLY problem will be the height of the bottom right (looking at your picture) drain valve and how that "interferes" with the black metal couch support. Not sure how to solve that yet...

However, here's the thought.

Put a new T with a simple shutoff (to engage, disengage system connections) coming off of the lines on the upper RHS (right hand side, the fill connection) and lower RHS (the drain connection) of the existing tank. Put in new tank that we will assume will at least have upper and lower LHS (left hand side) connections. If it has four, you simply won't use the RHS ones. Using either PEX or flexible tubing or ???, connect the existing upper RHS to the new tank's upper LHS port, and similarly with the bottom ports. And you're done.

When the lines between the tanks are open, your second tank will fill (from the bottom via the original's drain connection connected to new tank bottom) and drain same as the main tank, with the air escaping through the original tanks' air via the fill connection. That way you won't need to add another fancy-windy are release like your current tank: utilize the current one. Did that make sense?

This should be totally simple to plumb with the following problems yet to be solved:

A. There's that damn metal couch bar in the way between the two lower ports. If the tubing goes up and over that, you'll get not nearly as much water out of the new tank

B. If you're on a side hill tilting towards the driver's side, water will settle in the new tank and there will be a lot that will be unaccessible.

If you're handy, you might solve A. by literally cutting out a section of that black seat bar and welding another longer piece on top of the gap for structural rigidity. Now you'd have a "tunnel" through which the pipe could run between the bottom ports. But that does kill a bit of the simplicity...

Aha! Wait! I've got another solution if you want to use the same tank (or same HEIGHT tank) as the original...

I raised my original tank off the floor about 1/2" with foam to keep it from freezing in the winter. This BARELY works for clearance with the sofa since there's tubing across the top of the tank for venting. It wouldn't get it high enough to clear the metal bar. BUT, since you won't have tubing across the top of the second tank for venting, you could raise the second tank a _full inch_ off the floor with some spacer-wood/whatever. Now your connection tubing from tank to tank on the bottom will clear the metal bar, although it'll have to have a second right angle down into the port...

This will additionally solve problem B. above, as the ground level of your second tank will be an inch higher than your existing tank!

Whacha think?
Amsoil
Old 01-28-2008, 03:02 PM   #9

Ah ... great minds think alike. I was thinking of raising both tanks as well to resolve the problem with that couch frame bar and help with water freezing (which I've only experienced once, but I was mad I couldn't make my coffee in the morning.).

I'll have to sit and stare at the space for awhile, but I think this is on the right track. I'm also going to reposition that electrical junction box that is mounted to the right side under the couch where I want to put water tank B. I can't figure out why this junction box is located where it is as all wires into and out of it originate over near the breaker panel under the left side of the couch.

Now I just need to find the time to implement all of this.

Thanks -
Phil

Old 01-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #10

Alta,

See if you can find a larger tank to fit in the existing tank location. There's a bit of extra room both rearwards and the one side.

Phil,

I notice you're in the bay area, or so it says. I'm in Redwood City. I raised my system (AND have the pex crimper tool!) so if you want to see what I did first hand and borrow the tool, drop me a line.

Ken

PS- Did I meet you up at Kirkwood last year?
Amsoil