Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #21

Re: Adjusting the PH springs

Just a note, as I understand the PH/spring/function (I could be wrong and if so someone please correct me).

1) The tension springs. These are the "main" springs that are under tension all the time, and are the ones people adjust with come-alongs, great care, etc. From what I understand, these are the springs that hold the top up when it's in the "up" position, and these also help lift the top after it has gotten part way up. These are located around half way front/rear along the top.

2) The helper springs (very old PH tops might not have these; my late 90's Ford does have them). These springs are not under tension when the top is up (i.e. when you can access them). They are very easy to "adjust." The way I understand it, these springs are responsible for initiating the lift (along with a human!) (they are compressed when the top is down). They get the top from "down" to "partway up," at which point the tension springs take over. I have "adjusted" the helper springs on my PH top. I put adjusted in quotes because it's not really the springs that get changed... I'll explain (at least how they are on mine):

My PH top goes up great once it's past about 6" up; it's the initial phase I wanted to make easier. Adding blocks to the helper-spring area compresses the helper springs more when the top is down, so they "want" to uncompress more, which is what starts the top on its way up. The flip side is that if you compress them too much (add too thick a block), then the top won't want to sit down properly. So you have to experiment to get the most "help," but without any negative side effects.

The helper springs just sit loosely in an area along the sides of the PH top near the rear. When the top is up (which is when you can get to them), they are just lying trapped in their "tunnels," with gobs of room ahead and behind them, so there is absolutely no tension on them. It's just a loose spring sitting in a tunnel. In order to get to them, I removed one upholstered button cover (from the fabric on the horizontal surface above the PH frame), unscrewed the screw underneath, and peeled back the fabric. Then I was able to reach in and extract the spring (you have to bend the spring slightly to get it out, but no big deal). I had previously cut a few sets of blocks of various thicknesses so I'd be ready to go with some experimentation. I forget the outside dimensions, but they were around 2" x 2", and I went with something like 1/2" thick, 3/4" thick, and 1" thick (or thereabouts). I think I ended up with the 3/4" blocks, but I can't remember for sure. If I remember correctly, I put the blocks to the rear of the springs (why I extracted them), but I can't remember exactly why - just that it seemed like the best choice. I'm guessing there was something about the way the front of the springs mate up to what's ahead of them that made it seem like a less-good choice (vs. they run up against flat metal to the rear).

Next time I'll try to remember to take photos.

Viva

PS: I still have a hard time getting my top initiated, but anyone else (whom I ask to help me) seems to find it easy. So I think this alone would make the top lift easy to initiate for most people (I'm not tall and have bad shoulders).

PPS: I'm currently experimenting with a mock up of a top-lifter-helper; if it seems workable, I'll make a post about it.

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #22

Garage

Quote:
PPS: I'm currently experimenting with a mock up of a top-lifter-helper; if it seems workable, I'll make a post about it.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio

By the way, in re-reading my last post, I realized it may have sounded like I thought you and Ocsmb needed my input before you could get together to adjust the PH springs on your SMBs. That was unintentional on my part, as clearly the both of you are SMB Zen Masters compared to me.

On the top-lifter-helper mockup report: It's been POURING rain here for the last week or two (or five...), and without any dry weather in the forecast, I've been hesitant to put the top up and get it wet. But, as soon as I can, I'll give the mockup a whirl and report back (fully prepared for an amusing failure ).
Old 11-23-2012, 12:22 AM   #24

Adjusting the PH springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio

By the way, in re-reading my last post, I realized it may have sounded like I thought you and Ocsmb needed my input before you could get together to adjust the PH springs on your SMBs. That was unintentional on my part, as clearly the both of you are SMB Zen Masters compared to me.

On the top-lifter-helper mockup report: It's been POURING rain here for the last week or two (or five...), and without any dry weather in the forecast, I've been hesitant to put the top up and get it wet. But, as soon as I can, I'll give the mockup a whirl and report back (fully prepared for an amusing failure ).
I can't speak for Tapatio, I know for sure he knows more about smb than I do, but I'm a student of the smb, learning something new everyday.

Greatly appreciate your posts. Well informed with good ideas.

Looking forward to your invention.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #25
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
It's been POURING rain here for the last week or two (or five...), and without any dry weather in the forecast, I've been hesitant to put the top up and get it wet. But, as soon as I can, I'll give the mockup a whirl and report back (fully prepared for an amusing failure ).
Why don't you want to put the top up in wet weather? I enjoy camping in the rain and is one of the reasons I bought my van. Weather doesn't stop me like it did with a tent.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb

Why don't you want to put the top up in wet weather? I enjoy camping in the rain and is one of the reasons I bought my van. Weather doesn't stop me like it did with a tent.
Well it's more that I don't want to put it back down in this weather! It is pouring and blowing rain here, and although I'm not afraid to get the canvas wet (it doesn't leak or anything), I do like to have at least the prospect of leaving it up (or putting it back up relatively soon) so that it can dry out. If I put it up now and get it wet, it's going to go back down wet and then just sit there and stay wet.

In a week or so, I'm going to be heading south and out of the constant rain (and or maybe it will stop raining here for an hour... one can hope). Then I'll test 'er out

Viva
Old 03-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #27

In preparation for installing two solar panels I adjusted the penthouse springs. Here is the proceedure I used --> http://vimeo.com/61317178
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #28

Great video, Larrie! Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

What solar panels are you adding? I'll be curious to see if two links is enough.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #29

Adjusting the PH springs

Bought two Kyocera 135 watt, http://www.solar-electric.com/kykd140wasom1.html from Arizona Wind and Sun. It is more than I need at the moment but think it will be better in he long run.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
In preparation for installing two solar panels I adjusted the penthouse springs. Here is the proceedure I used --> http://vimeo.com/61317178
Agree, that's a very informative video for owner knowledge, not to mention the owner who wants to do it by themself (not that you're recommending that).

The plug for the forum was a nice touch too.

Herb