Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #11

Re: Aftermarket parking sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Nobbie and Redoval just installed aftermarket sensors on Nobbie's van.......don't know how well they work......
This is what we installed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZX ... ge_o00_s00

We had a faulty beeper and had to effect an exchange. But Amazon is Amaz(on)ing and all is good. I have yet to test it out. But, Scott says they work as advertised.
Attached Thumbnails
51vJ-3CpKcL._SY450_.jpg  

Old 10-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #12

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubnobbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Nobbie and Redoval just installed aftermarket sensors on Nobbie's van.......don't know how well they work......
This is what we installed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZX ... ge_o00_s00

We had a faulty beeper and had to effect an exchange. But Amazon is Amaz(on)ing and all is good. I have yet to test it out. But, Scott says they work as advertised.
I have this kit on every car I own. It is super cheap and effective in providing an audible reinforcement to what I see in the mirrors or on the reverse camera screen. My primary intent with installing these was to prevent an incident with my children in the backyard. The vans, and most cars now, have poor visibility at the center bumper level. At only $10, I don't even have to think about the consequences of what could happen if I assumed nothing was behind me!

I only installed two of the four sensors on mine. For some reason, the logic escapes me why this was a good idea, but what is done is done.... These also can be purchased in many different paint colors to blend in a bit better with your scheme. The wiring is tagged from the reverse light bulb along with the reverse camera that through my Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS deck in the dash.

Edit- Installing these with the hole saw provided is a joke. You will need a 7/8" or 15/16" step drill to make the job a piece of cake. Though most scoff at the Harbor Freight products, the step drills are a valuable purchase. I use mine daily and have for years without troubles...

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-ti ... 96275.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/titanium-n ... 69087.html

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
2015-10-06 08.23.48.jpg  
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #13

Comparing your bumper to mine, you obviously installed them sooner than I did. Or more likely you're a more careful driver. -- There's something about the rear overhang on my van that makes me forget just how long the back is.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #14

It's really hard to believe that for $15, shipping included with Prime, that this kit is any good. But the reviews on Amazon and here seem pretty good. I'm curious to its longevity, though, as it requires drilling holes in the bumper...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #15

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
It's really hard to believe that for $15, shipping included with Prime, that this kit is any good. But the reviews on Amazon and here seem pretty good. I'm curious to its longevity, though, as it requires drilling holes in the bumper...
Agreed, I felt the same way! I've had mine installed for about 2 years without a single hiccup, and that includes swapping them from my previous van to this one. Of all the kits I have installed, the only issue I've come across was on Nobbie's van as he mentioned above when the small piezo alarm was not emitting.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #16

I guess for $15 each, buy two kits and keep one for future backup if needed down the road.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #17

I've used them a bit now, and given an option would like more range. The sensors I've used on a BMW seem to give that, but they seem to trade off resolution up close for it.

Eventually you'll probably be able to buy the same kit for $200 somewhere. The difference will have gone to hiring someone to do a proper translation of the manual, and to whoever hired them. Mostly to whoever hired them.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote