Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #91

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
So when I got my rear leaf pack it had the overload springs angled downward just a little bit, so I had John at Agile send me a straight one to try and stiffen the rear a bit and change my rear valving to their stiffest V5 tune. I still have the slightly arched spring, maybe if I install that with the arch facing upward it would help a little to stiffen it just a tad more. The angle is pretty minimal but maybe it would help, I dunno at this point. Or I could have a shop angle it more if needed but I am not sure how else to get my rear stiffer without getting harsh and am not a huge fan on the rear stabilizer idea but do want a safe driving van.
Of course this might only help when the actual overload spring is engaged and probably isn't the case when I get this sway or wandering.....??

nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:29 PM   #92

[QUOTE=nemesisnight;255700] And yes I feel like I hit a gust of wind or sometimes just randomly have it wander and am chasing it to try and settle it back down. If I am gentle on the over-correcting it seems to do best but with the feeling of going into another lane and a 23 year old loose steering box its a both hands on the wheel affair trying to steady it out. /QUOTE]

That's pretty much my experience too. One thing I discovered is looking as far down the road as possible minimizes the corrections, that was one of the lessons that was drilled into our heads at rally school (for other reasons though). I do think the road surface makes a difference too. On my last long trip I noticed that crossing an overpass with a different type of pavement on the other side made could make a noticeable difference in drive ability. One thing I forgot to mention about the improvement when I removed the steering damper is that I also just put on new tires. As soon as I did that, I realized that my old Duratrac's weren't really round, and were quite noisy. Suddenly the van was much smoother and quieter. I suspect that the stiffer sidewalls helped too.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:30 PM   #93

Garage
Well I ordered a Hellwig rear sway bar (model 7183) to give that a try and see if it even helps. It's only a 1 1/4", I couldn't find the 1 1/2" version in a full kit. If it helps I'll have to have some quick disconnects fabbed up for off-road situations, I don't like how it will be hanging lower though, can it be mounted to the top of the axle instead of underneath? Or will that jack up how well it works. (Still don't love the idea of a rear sway but if nothing else it will help me rule out if that's my issue I guess)

I was also thinking about wheel spacers, I wonder if I get some 1.5"-2" spacers on my rear full float if that will help at all. They are not cheap though for the quality steel ones, anyone have leads on any?
Old 06-27-2019, 07:08 PM   #94

The regular Hellwig mounting are actually ok for clearance. I've wrapped some vegetation round the ends, but it's never hung up. The shock mounts and diff are still lower. If the ends are too low (determined by your ride height) those bolts and sleeves can be shortened to improve clearance.

Yes, wheel adapters will improve rear stability as well but the improvement isn't as dramatic as the sway bar. I added them to my dad's van. 1.5" is an exact match for the front track width, but the 2" don't require trimming studs (depending on wheels.... some might need a little grinding at least). But if you drive in deep packed snow, the 1.5" will let the rear follow the ruts left by the fronts a little easier. Go-to brand is Fred @ Wheeladapter.com

When you come up with a good disconnect, make sure you post it! I've planned on doing this as well, but it's pretty low on my list of things to do.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:22 PM   #95

Quote:
Well I ordered a Hellwig rear sway bar (model 7183) to give that a... I don't like how it will be hanging lower though, can it be mounted to the top of the axle instead of underneath?

I faced this with my old Nissan and cab over camper that I set up, 30yrs ago... I determined that mounting it on top of the housing changes the roll center, moves it up, in a negative way. If it were me, I'd mount it underneath, as intended, and see how it goes.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:52 PM   #96

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
I faced this with my old Nissan and cab over camper that I set up, 30yrs ago... I determined that mounting it on top of the housing changes the roll center, moves it up, in a negative way. If it were me, I'd mount it underneath, as intended, and see how it goes.
Yea I think it should be fine as intended, I've seen that the Hellwig hangs pretty low with a stock van so with a 6" lift it should pull it up out of the way decently. It's all a test for now anyway. I still have to get my super beefy front sway bar with removable end links installed and who knows, that might help some too and I'll try your tire pressure trick and maybe even remove the front sway bar for an experiment.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #97

Garage
Alright stinking sway bar is in, let's see if this helps. Install was pretty easy and straight forward. Just realized a disconnect on the rear will be tricky since the bar needs to basically be in the same position, maybe have a bungee setup where it's disconnected and hangs from a bungee to hold it in basically the same place but allows it to stretch and flex instead of limiting the axle??? I dunno what else I could do to keep it off the frame

Old 06-29-2019, 06:02 PM   #98

Garage
subscribed: I'm not motivated by the same issues that have driven you to install the sway bar, but i'm real interested to find out what restrictions you encounter with this new feature. Been using my rear airbags at times for stability, but have been contemplating adding a rear sway bar but didnt want to restrict off-road performance - looking forward to user updates.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:13 PM   #99

Quote:
Just realized a disconnect on the rear will be tricky since the bar needs to basically be in the same position...

You only need to disconnect one end to effectively 'disable it', leaving the other end in tact will hold it up and out of harms way
Old 08-21-2019, 01:52 PM   #100

Any updates on ride changes now that you have added the sway bar? I have been chasing the same issue since rebuilding the suspension on my Quigley. It's almost as if the old bound up stuff kept it all under control. My wife won't even drive it on the highway now.
theshwed is offline   Reply With Quote