Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2019, 11:09 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
That is a stock E-series sway bar. The in-axle bushings are the ones you want to switch to polyurethane. Moog sells them for about $15.

https://www.moog-suspension-parts.co...k80222#fitment

The frame bushing, I recommend keeping OEM. It has enough mass so it doesn't squish much until it ages, but they last a long time. Switching this one to poly can create some pretty good squeak as your suspension travels.

On edit: Moog has a delrin version now! This would address the squeaky mattress syndrome with the poly frame bushings. Beware this section of the sway bar came in 2 sizes. You probably have the smaller one linked below, but the wagons came with a bigger bar, so it's always possible yours was swapped.

https://www.moog-suspension-parts.co...uestionanswers

Thanks for the info, now after seeing the box of those Moog bushings I realize those are the axle bushings John sent me with the RIP kit I believe so I already have those in my axle so no help there, I will get those Delrin frame bushings though and see what that does, wonder if I still need a bigger sway bar, the frame bushings should help some since mine are so old I hope.........

Edit: Amazon said the frame bushings should work for my Van so thanks again Carringb, between tightening that up and modifying my control/torque arms I hope to eliminate this crazy Sway. If both those do nothing I am at a loss though.

nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:40 AM   #22

Looking at you axle pic, I think they did put in rubber axle-bushings. At least they look black in the pic. Could be just smeared in grease. Moog does offer the rubber ones too. But the clear poly ones are the way to go. The rubber ones are too soft.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:51 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Looking at you axle pic, I think they did put in rubber axle-bushings. At least they look black in the pic. Could be just smeared in grease. Moog does offer the rubber ones too. But the clear poly ones are the way to go. The rubber ones are too soft.
Yeah I just applied some por 15 to the axle a few days ago so they got a bit coated on the edges but they are the clear poly ones
Old 05-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #24
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Keep in mind that if you sneak the axle forward, at a certain point you may need to address the clearance of your track bar to the front diff. Again, in my case, BOR made a new track bar mount to sneak it forward and keep it in line and with enough clearance.
It’s a slippery slope indeed....
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:47 PM   #25

Garage
So I got my sway bar frame bushings replaced with the ones CarringB recomended and it has already helped quite a bit as far as I can tell on my test drive to work. Crazy how a little $15 part helped so much after all I have already done. The old ones were in really really bad shape and the brackets were bent and angled, I'm suprised my installer put those in and didn't tell me about it. Couldn't tell how bad they were till I took them off.

I am still going to do the lower arm modification to adjust my Caster to a more appropriate level and hopefully that will be all I need to do. Agile Off-road didn't think the frame bushings would really matter a ton and I'm suprised how much it did, but again I will have to do a long trip to really know.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:48 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Keep in mind that if you sneak the axle forward, at a certain point you may need to address the clearance of your track bar to the front diff. Again, in my case, BOR made a new track bar mount to sneak it forward and keep it in line and with enough clearance.
It’s a slippery slope indeed....
Yea that's what I was wondering about and tried asking in the PM I sent but I think you missed my question there, so good to know. With my boxed upper arms it looks like I will only be welding the jimmy joints into my lower stock Quigley arms for now to gain a little Caster and "hopefully" I won't need to move the track bar mount for now.

Eventually I want to put on 35-37" tires and at that time will get new upper arms to push the whole axle forward more like you did and will have to move the mount then I am sure. That is just a lot more than I want to spend at the moment, for now I just want a safe and stable ride.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:44 PM   #27

[/QUOTE] ...Crazy how a little $15 part helped so much after all I have already done. The old ones were in really really bad shape...

[/QUOTE]

Always bring the vehicle up to original standards before making changes. This happens all the time. It's an expensive lesson I reteach myself periodically.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:40 PM   #28

Yeah, I can’t believe the installer didn’t see that when doing all the other parts. Not cool. Did you replace the brackets, too? If you have a pick and pull near you they are super easy to source for cheap. I got a front sway bar setup with updated bushings and OEM brackets, for $13.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Did you replace the brackets, too?
I was wondering about that too. I looks like the bushings got shoved forward, possibly from the sway bar binding (which should be better now with the lift). But then again, the new Delrin bushing are probably stiff enough to straighten out the brackets on their own.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:17 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
I was wondering about that too. I looks like the bushings got shoved forward, possibly from the sway bar binding (which should be better now with the lift). But then again, the new Delrin bushing are probably stiff enough to straighten out the brackets on their own.
Yup, it was shoved way forward, I just bent them back into place and pounded them fairly straight with the bushing in place on a vice to shape it, haha. I guess a new one would be a good option too but that worked fairly well, they are pretty straight now.