Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
AMSOIL users

I had a recent breakdown that involved a tow to the nearest Ford dealer. I didn’t have a clue to why I broke down but the shop made the repairs and I was on my way within 3 hours. It was a sensor that had failed.
viewtopic.php?p=16704&highlight=#16704
I noticed that I now had some oil on the ground and it hit me. Did the dealership add oil to the engine? I had switched over to full synthetic AMSOIL early this year and never made note of this on the door.

I now have marked the door and the oil filler cap that my engine takes “AMSOIL ONLY”. Hope they didn’t add regular oil to the motor. I’ll have to follow up with the mechanic at the dealership to make sure. They said that he shouldn’t have needed to but why risk it. It’s a good idea to mark your vehicle.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #2

Amsoil Oil

Dave ,
Our 2007 E-50 came with a Warning Decal right next to the Oil Filler Tube , you might want to call Peter at SportsMobile or Jim the Amsoil
Rep . Our Decal appears to have been printed by Amsoil .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
Yep I was surprised my order didn't come with something like that. Even those fancy air filters come with stickers. I just didn't think of it until I saw the oil on the cement. Hope they don't lie to me. I just did an oil change.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:05 AM   #4

Mine also has the sticker near the oil fill in the engine compartment. However, I definitely wouldn't trust that a mechanic would actually notice it. Thanks for the warning though Dave, I need to always remember to mention that to any mechanic. Glad to hear your engine troubles were solved relatively quick.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #5

Dave,

I have the Amsoil system and before purchasing it I read all of the literature on the filters and oil. One thing I remember is that the oil is fully compatible with conventional oils. Since the dealer likely added less than a quart it shouldn't dilute your oil enough to cause any problems.

The sticker is definitely a good idea, I will have to see If I can get a hold of one of those.

John
Old 11-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Thanks...that makes me feel better. I read that there was a large leak but found it was a problem when the shop tested it with air rather than oil. So they didn't need to add any oil. I did add a sticker and hope that will work. My mind wasn't all there that day. Things must go bad when you turn 50. One hell of a week. Got up Saturday and found my driver side windows broke out in the van and pickup. At least they didn't get anything out of the van which wouldn't be much anyway. Pickup wasn't so lucky.
DaveB

Old 02-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #7

Re: AMSOIL users

I have a question for you Amsoil users with the 6.0 diesel. How many quarts of oil does it take for an oil change? My SMB manual says that my engine now has 16-1/2 quarts of oil in it and I have to add 1-1/2 more for the filters when doing an oil change. That's 18 quarts total and I know mine doesn't hold that much. How many quarts have you folks been adding, including what you put in the filters when doing a full change?? Thanx

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #8

Scatter, I have changed the oil three times so far, and it has been 16.5 quarts total including the two oil filters.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #9

Thanks Ed. I would think that's about right as the engine is supposed to take 15 stock. But, according to my dipstick I'm full at 15 to 15-1/2 quarts. Seems a little shy to me. That's the way it's been for the last three changes. What's a mother to do....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #10
Site Team

Yeah, with that much fluid, and not really knowing how much you can get out of the oil pan, it's hard to know how much oil to add. Couple that with having to let the oil "settle" to see how much is on the dipstick, it end's up being an all day affair.

I end up checking the level everyday for a couple days.

Herb