Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #1

Garage
Another Bent Bow Question

Hello All:

I have an 06 EB SMB with an electric top, the PH support bows are bent. I am planning on sleeving with DOM tubing. I have read that the electric tops are already sleeved? Can anyone confirm this? If so, what are my options.

Thanks

Mike

ghetto fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #2

The tubes of my Austin built SMB are sleeved.

Fresno has a jig & can straighten in-place (2 hr labor@$95/hr) as long as they are not creased. If they are, tube replacement is around $1K. Arrange service with Peter Del Toro559-233-8267 x 7006 <p.deltoro@sportsmobile.com>.

Mike
2011 e250 5.4 eb42 e-ph agile offroad 4x4
snomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #3

Hi Mike,

I'm thinking about some preventive measures for our '07.
Could you describe where the tubes are bent at ?

Thanks.
s

2007 E350 Ford V-10
SMB Transformer Mod

All guts, no glory
seasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:52 AM   #4

Garage
Here is a photo, I was hoping to do the repairs and upgrades myself. Boywonder on this forum has an extensive build. Not to impressed with the quality of work from SMB. I guess I could by parts from SMB and do the install myself.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
A6DEC7C4-B154-46E3-AB2A-E9F1FC77EECC.jpg  
ghetto fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #5

Garage
Fortunately mine have not bent...as of yet. But I too was trying to figure a way to provide added strength because they do bow a little when the top is raised. I havent tested the theory yet (and maybe someone can stop me before i do something that may create a problem) but thought about a length of T-Bar (the entire length of each bar, and no wider than the diameter of the load bars so it doesnt protrude out). lay that across the top of each load bar and then anchor them with something like pipe clamps in 4 spots to keep them snug against the bars (maybe a clamp at each end, and then again one about 2ft from each end - 4 total on each bar). Tightening the pipe clamps too much could create a "weak" area on the load bar so I,m not sure this is the best way to attach them.
I'd like to encourage any thoughts or criticism concerning this approach?
Old 04-15-2018, 09:09 PM   #6

Garage
Found this when trying to check on the helper springs... yikes. Lucky they didn't snap on our last roadtrip.

I guess if i have to redo all the bolts i might as well try and sleve the bows. Anyone know where to get the tubes from?

Also would it be worth changing 20yo old springs for new springs? My top is pretty hard to raise with added load. (already took 3 links out)

maxx is offline   Reply With Quote