Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #21

Re: another fender vent install

I would personally not use an angle grinder on nice fenders. Air cut off tool, air body saw, sawzall even, or a jig saw with a metal blade. You can get a plunge hacksaw and do it by hand with a dremmel cut to start. Protect the area with several layers of painters tape for any of the above.

I've also used an air shear, they have amazing control, but I doubt I'd grab it for this because of the inside closed nature of the cut.

Basically an angle grinder will heat all the metal and burn back under the paint. It's worth the cost of a tool to do it right. Get a junkyard fender, dumpster dive at a body shop, or offer to cut the flares off your buddy's Cherokee for practice.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikine
In cooler climates like where I'm at, I always wondered if having a sliding cover over the vent would be a good idea in winter temperatures to keep the heat in & aid during warm up? I see lots diesel pickups, school buses & semi's with covers over their radiators so got me wondering?
I don't think you have to worry about the heat loss in cold temps. The thermostat will keep the engine temps up. The heat coming out of these vent will be generated by exhaust pipes, etc. and won't affect the warmup of the engine.

If it makes you feel better, you can cover your radiator - but watch the engine temp carefully and be prepared to pull the cover when temps heat up. An operating engine thermostat should take care of the issue.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #23

Stikine,
I used a hole saw to cut the three corners (use cutting oil and run the drill at a slower speed, to keep the heat down). Then I used a hacksaw blade and a pair of gloves and did the rest by hand. Like jage mentions above, I was worried about the heat build up from any power tool, (I have a lot more time then I have fenders). Jage also mentioned using tape, that's a good idea, not only to protect the surrounding area but it is much better to trace the template onto then the paint on your fender.
The main thing I did different then the instruction called for, was I did not use the rubber gasket that came with the vents. They would have made the vent stick out a 1/16" more. The vents have 4 tabs that hold them in place, their designed to hold the sheet metal and gasket. With out the gasket they would be a little loose. So where those tabs are, I left a 1/4" wings that I folded over on themselves to double up the thickness of the metal. Then I put down a bead of black caulk on the final install.
Sorry, but I didn't take any pics of that process.
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #24

Could you have put the gasket inside the fender instead of folding the metal over?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #25
Site Team

Did the vents come with a template? It's amazing how many products that expect you to cut metal don't come with templates.

I was wondering if you used the tension clips to mount the vents. I think the black silicone was a great addition to make it more secure.

Herb
Old 01-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage

I found these brushed billet style but I want them in black. Wonder if they can be anodized? BTW not sure even if they are functional.

Vents

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Why? Your hood is fiberglass and the deep set plastic is probably way stronger than what you pictured, which looks like surface mount stamped metal.
FWIW, the side mount louvers from Race Ace (source of the picture) are 16 gauge aluminum.

Herb
Old 01-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Could you have put the gasket inside the fender instead of folding the metal over?

Mike
The gasket is rubber, it would not stay in place on the inside of the fender. One other way I could have done it was to have just glued 4 small pieces on the back side with epoxy, instead of folding it over.
And Herb, the vents do come with a template.
John
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #29

Really nice vents.... so nice, I just ordered a pair and hope they turn out as nice as yours. Thanks for sharing. Gene
Old 01-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #30

street scene makes a black one as well... part # 950-73000. check the street scene website.
racrx451 is offline   Reply With Quote