Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #1

Another screen door design

This is my wife's second try at a screen door. The first used a Velcro strip to hold the door halves closed. In other words you had to pull the door open and then restick the Velcro after entering or leaving. In the now design she modified "Magic Door" panels to cover the side door opening. I think she has a winner this time. Very easy to pass through and self closing.

Still use Velcro around door opening to hold screens in place and we only put them up when it is buggy out.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Another screen door design

Nice job, I had always wondered how well those work. What hold them in place against the van, magnets also?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #3

I have the one's that use velcro to attach at the top and sides. They also use adhesive tape on other versions.

I have a question, did you custom make these for the dimensions of the SMB ? I ask, as I have only seen
them in the dimensions of a standard door or sliding doors for homes ?

Looks great.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #4

My wife got two sets at Walgreens for $20 each and custom made them. The trick was to make sure they hung straight with no interference so they would swing shut after entering or exiting the van.

The Green TARDIS
Old 09-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #5

Your wife is as clever as she is cute. You guys planning any winter trips. I enjoy your gallery very much. My wife and I dream of fulltiming someday. Her dream is in something much bigger but I 'm wearing her down.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #6

The top and B pillar use Velcro to attach. The aft seal is against body steel and the row of magnets on the second screen section that makes the assembly seal that side. The "trick" was assuring that the screen hangs straight and semi loss so the two rows of magnets just swing and click together when the curtains swing back from someone passing through them.

The Green TARDIS
Old 09-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #7

Garage

ha, awesome!! wife and i were talking about this setup working a few months ago when we saw the commercials on tv. didnt know they were available at walgreens or i would have tried it already. ill have to go buy some and give it a go. tell your wife excellent work and thank her for us!!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #8

Couple notes:

The material is very light and pliable so that it drapes easily and therefore gets the magnets close together so they grab. "light and pliable" aka: not tough and definitely not kid resistant. We put ours up only when needed.

Amazon has them for $29 a set. The drugstore (I think Walgreens) had them for $19 a set.

The van opening takes 1 and 1/2 sets with the way we did it with the opening off set (two panels on the left and one on the right. Used piece of 4th panel to square up the screen to the 'B' pillar. Screen must hang straight for magnets to grab.

The Green TARDIS
Old 09-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #9

Garage

Congrat to your wife for this great concept!
Old 09-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #10

Very nice, Len! My wife sewed our bug screen to have a zippered door. It works quite well, but certainly isn't as convenient as the magnets appear to be. We also sewed a bottom 'bean bag' into ours to help weight it down and keep it from blowing around.

Is the inboard cabinet with the carpet on top new, or has that been there? That looks like a great exterior workspace addition and would work super for those of us with sliders that can't mount the cabinet on the barn door.