Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #11

Re: Awning Brackets Failure

How about your Progressive Insurance and "wind" damaged awning???? There was just a post on insurance.

The hole in the van should only be a few thousandths larger then the rubber plug/nut. Would be nice to get your read on that. If the holes are lots bigger then SMB screwed up. If the plug/nut just slips in then maybe the bolt was walking out and the plug would start losing its bulge. IF that were the case then installing the bolt and plug "properly" with some Loc-tite added would help the problem. Then it would not come out until the sheet metal cracks.

Forget the Loc-tite Not a good idea with the Well Nuts. Per the Well Nut specs the torque on them should only be between about 10-15 inch pounds. I would think a thin piece of sheet metal under the two bolts with some bend up anti rotation tabs would be better.

A nice large nut plate with a rubber gasket would be VERY nice....but I assume they used the plug because the location requires a blind hole fastener.

My bag awning probably weighs half as much. Very glad I chose to put mine on the Penthouse with 12-14 fender washers and acorn nuts.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

How about taking the whole mess back to Sportsmobile and telling them to make it right! (Including the bodywork). Or, getting them to pay for the damage and the go buy some of Eli's brackets!!!!
If it were me, I think I'd be madder than you appear to be. We buy these $100,000.00 vehicles and sort of expect that the appertinent appendages remain a part of the whole. I'd be camped on their doorstep at 0730 with a picture of my (your) beautiful child, and demanding to know what they would have done if the outcome hadn't been so lucky!
Bill
Thank you, I feel better now
Old 06-30-2009, 11:14 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Bill,

This happened on Father's Day. I gave Sportsmobile the benefit of the doubt. I explained to them what happened and e-mailed them the same pictures, after a week of back and forth emails, they felt that they are not responsible (even slightly) for what happened. They claim that rouge winds are uncontrollable, even though I explained that the winds that day was normal beach weather day and we have had our awning on waayyyy worst winds. I don't think they even entertained the thought of maybe trying to subsidize the cost of a replacement awning.

I guess I'm just glad that no one was injured and our 3 y/o was OK, it would have been probably be a different phone call to SMB if one of my girls got hurt!

My wife and I are in our early 30's (30 & 31), we would most likely buy at least 2 or 3 4x4 RV's in our lifetime. How Sportsmobile handled this case made us doubt our decision into buying another Sportsmobile in the future.

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #14

Ray,
Glad you and the family are OK. That is most important.
I have to agree with Bill. SMB needs to work this out for you. Here is what happened to me over a year ago:

And here is my post and SMB's response:
http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=701

Your rig is new. I think another phone call to them is in order and it should be worked out on their dime, not yours.

Re SMB's response to you: This is not an unknown condition. I posted what happened to me over a year ago and spoke to them. I have never even used my awning (though there was a PO) and this happened to me. It loosened up without the awning being opened!

Perhaps you need to talk to someone else there who is in charge.

Just my $0.02

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #15

We had a very similar occurance with a sudden wind thermal that started right near the van. The awning flipped up towards the roof of the van and pulled out of all but the front mount which was bent. I think the mount design is crappy but honestly it was our fault for not having the awning staked down at the feet securely. We also ended up with a very similar scratch.
SMB sent us new rubber bolt/plug thingies and I re-installed the awning for future ripping from vehicle from freak winds.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Atleast you still have an awning .

But for a specialize Rig that was less than 1 year old, everything should be bolted on tight, maybe? (And I was very diligent on maintaining the bolts on our awning)These were not high winds, since there were a whole bunch of RV's with their awnings deployed and pop-up tents up. Unfortunately we could not stake down our awning because we were parked in the beach parking lot.

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #17

I'm sorry this had to happen to you the way it did. I concur that these bolts should not come out as easily as they appear to and wouldn't even consider mounting something this heavy that is subject to unexpected wind forces without through bolting it and strengthening the sheet metal around the mounts.

I was thinking of adding an awning to my build, but that thought is far gone now. It isn't worth it to me to spend a grand on something that will require constant maintenance and worry.

Looking for a sturdy removable awning now.
sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #18

Ray, im so sorry to hear this dude. Im glad to hear no one was hurt. I hope you get this resolved through SMB. They really need to figure out a different way to mount the awning to these rigs.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:32 AM   #19

There are brackets for the awning that bolt to the van body and mount the bottom of the legs to the van. I have some pictures in my album:

SMB should have given these brackets to you. If not, they should give you a pair. They aren't a cure for poor workmanship, but they do help.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:20 AM   #20

Quick bit of info:

How about you check out all the various fasteners available, here in the EU we can get them at Reimo:
http://www.reimo.com/en/D-accessories/D ... fasteners/

At least this might give you some ideas, hope it helps...
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote