Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Don, the SF axle isn't really stock or anything it's just that the Dynatrac80 was an $8,000 upgrade from SMB. . . . And even then by the mid-2000s Ford was mostly spec'ing the cheaper semi-floats anyway. IMO, it's the Achilles heal in the SMB 4x4 package given the weight of our vans. . . . I just finished my conversion to a FF D60 this spring. . . . Here's a couple of threads that I found useful when researching the issue and potential axle upgrades
Wow, that's quite a reading list, Joe. I'll look at it carefully. Agreed, as of now for sure, about the SF being the Achilles heel. I asked SMBW about the FF upgrade (a mere $4220 at the time of my build) and was assured I didn't need it if I wasn't towing a heavy boat or some such. 20/20 hindsight, it would have been a lot easier to get the FF then than now. Meanwhile, congrats on your rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
A couple of things may need clarifying...

SF has only one wheel bearing per side, they are out at the end of the axle housing, right next to the brakes (heat is no good...).

This bearing (pictured above) is a Cylindrical Roller Bearing that has no inner race, only an outer race that sits in the axle housing. The axle shaft has a hardened surface that acts as the inner race - that is where you showed the pitting and break down of the hardened surface. . . .
Thanks for the bearing illustration and discussion. I've read more than a few descriptions of the difference between FF & SF but your note seems to explain my situation to a Tee. The boat towing scenario you describe is what I thought would be the failure point so I didn't think it applied in this case. My apologies to Phil for not seeing a lesser problem as FF/SF related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
Shameless plug... now that I have put fear in your hearts, lol.

Agile has plenty of Dana 60 Full Floater Axles available to build to customers specs - choice of gear ratios and open or locking differentials with alloy axles with all new bearings and seals...
I'll have to digest the expense of this adventure but I will look at an upgrade. As I said above, SMBW didn't think the FF was necessary. I've regretted not getting it almost from day 1 and especially every time the rear end drops off a rock or ledge harder than I planned. Live and learn.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:40 PM   #12

For comparison, this is what mine looked like before I replaced with FF.
Attached Thumbnails
2011-10-13_20-48-36_553.jpg   2011-10-13_20-49-10_16.jpg  

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo View Post
Wow, that's quite a reading list, Joe. I'll look at it carefully. Agreed, as of now for sure, about the SF being the Achilles heel. I asked SMBW about the FF upgrade (a mere $4220 at the time of my build) and was assured I didn't need it if I wasn't towing a heavy boat or some such. 20/20 hindsight, it would have been a lot easier to get the FF then than now. Meanwhile, congrats on your rebuild.
Don
My bad Don that $8k number was with an ARB locker, including the compressor.

SMBW is wrong. It's a weight dealio and pushing the wheels out with spacers on a SF is a bad idea for all the reasons posted above.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:06 AM   #14
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
For comparison, this is what mine looked like before I replaced with FF.
I think user a pattern here.

Quote:
My bad Don that $8k number was with an ARB locker, including the compressor.
Makes sense. I'll buy a lottery ticket later today so I can get lockers, too. After an experience in mud a couple of years ago where my front rockers saved the day, I'm sold on them.

Quote:
SMBW is wrong. It's a weight dealio and pushing the wheels out with spacers on a SF is a bad idea for all the reasons posted above.
Evidently. At least the van is operating again and we're not riding a tow truck back from some boondocking location in the tulies.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote