Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
GAR

Thumbs down Bedrug Vanrug review

Pro:
* If you're looking for something lightweight to fill in the gaps between the ribs of the floor of your van, this may do the job for ya.
* Its made in the USA

Con:
I purchased a Bedrug Vanrug online and it arrived yesterday. $180 delivered to my door. The product was not what I was expecting. It weighs a meere 4.5 pounds (yes I weighed it). It is essentially a recycled plastic bag product.

I doubt it will deaden the sound at all. In fact, I doubt it will protect the floor of the van. It is advertised as 3/4 inch thick, but above the areas where it is cut out to fit flat over the ribs in the floor, its only 1/2 inch thick.

This product could not have cost more than $50 to make, though one would need the machinery to produce such a product, building to house it, and payroll for the employes... -I get all that, but its still just a large piece of cheap plastic.

Would I buy this again? no. Will I use it? Yes, for now, but it will likely not be a part of the finished build out.

Gar

GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:17 PM   #2

I had one in my old van and it was great. Held up well over about 8 years I had it. YMMV.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #3
GAR

Update on the review:

I have used the "BedRug" now for 1200 miles. Not sure it makes the ride anymore quite, but it does do a decent Job of cleaning up the back of the van till a more permanent floor can be fabricated. There is no smell, and it does provide padding when kneeling.

For the cost, I would contend that it was worth the price paid for the use so far. Have not hauled anything heavy, or dealt with any liquid spills (yet).

Gar

Old 01-15-2018, 05:53 PM   #4

Garage
I installed a VanRug in my 2017 Transit 250, low roof, regular wheel base, in February. It was quickly apparent that this was not quality carpet. It started to pill almost immediately, which was disturbing, but and now after 18,000 miles it doesn't look that much worse. The ribs of the van are detectable when you're in your bare feet. It was a perfect fit, and it is a good sound insulator. Overall, I would not recommend it.
bidgoodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #5

Garage
/Users/bidgoodr/Desktop/IMG_3950.jpg
Old 01-15-2018, 06:36 PM   #6

So what is everyone's preferred alternative? I know that many (most?) lay plywood over the bare floor and finish it off with their flooring of choice, but what about those of us with passenger/transformer type setups? My factory carpet is in decent shape, but I had been considering buying a Vanrug in an effort to quiet down road noise a bit, and maybe even add a little R-value in the process? Would I be better off to stick to my original plan of just covering the entire floor with butyl type deadener and lay my original carpet back over it? I've already done most of my walls and doubled up over the wheel wells with the cheap Noico stuff.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:01 PM   #7

Garage
I think you want to find some material to even out the ribs and provide sound insulation. Then lay plywood on top of that and finally finish it off with a carpet or vinyl surface. That being said, whenever I feel my bedbug has beyond my satisfaction, I can just put a carpet on top of that.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #8
GAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
So what is everyone's preferred alternative? I know that many (most?) lay plywood over the bare floor and finish it off with their flooring of choice, but what about those of us with passenger/transformer type setups? My factory carpet is in decent shape, but I had been considering buying a Vanrug in an effort to quiet down road noise a bit, and maybe even add a little R-value in the process? Would I be better off to stick to my original plan of just covering the entire floor with butyl type deadener and lay my original carpet back over it? I've already done most of my walls and doubled up over the wheel wells with the cheap Noico stuff.
You wont get much (if any), “R-value.” As to “road noise,” you’re far better off using Dynamat and your old carpet over that.

Gar