Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 05:13 PM   #1

Big cheap gas tank?

I've been searching and not finding any answers so I thought I'd post here.
Has anyone heard or seen of a forth gen (92+) Econoline gas tank (35G) stuffed into the third gen (75-91) van midship?
Here's the deal, I have 88 E250 that has the 16G front and the 22 gallon rear tanks. There is an 18G front available but picking up two gallons isn't really worth the hassle to me... however... a 35G midship tank from a late model would be nice, as would a 38G F250 or a 33G Bronco rear tank.
I've been looking a the pump mounts and fillers and I think I can deal with all that as well as possibly moving the rear frame brace back a couple of inches... but the shape of that late model midship tank might be a problem... hence the ask. I know that these are usually modified some to fit transfercases and lose a little volume but I think I can live with that.
Also, yes I am a very good welder as I own a machine and fab shop. And yes, welding tanks can be dangerous. I got that part covered so no worries. Yes, I could build all new custom tanks but the above mentioned are practically free. Free/cheap pleases my inner tightwad.
Anyone seen tank swap in the older vans?

Samtech79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:27 PM   #2

I was about to fit a rear (behind rear axle) cutaway tank on my van because I'm converting it to 4x but another member came through for me on an already modified Quigley tank. Anyway, I was researching the rear tanks and they are cheap on Car-Part. You can get one for less than a couple hundred bucks, just make sure it's gas and not diesel since lots of the cutaways were diesel. Someone here will know if the frames are the same and one of these can be used. Working out the filler is the only challenge but it sounds like you wouldn't have trouble fabbing any of this up.

You can get some pics and ideas on Michael's Cummins swap build here:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ect-10952.html

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:11 AM   #3

I'm about to order a 55 gallon rear tank from a cutaway for mine
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #4

The cutaway frame and the cargo/passenger van frames are different enough that the cross members for the aft of axle tanks don't fit quite right in the cargo/passenger vans. They can be made to work but not a perfect solution.

I have three vans here now (2 EBs and an RB) getting aft of axle tanks so I'm designing a set of cross members that will fit much better with a lot less work. Bolt-on parts (after drilling a few holes) and brackets for the vapor canister if needed.

I like the '08 and earlier tanks because they're super tough and made of very heavy gauge material and also baffled well. In '09 they cheaped out and went with a thin gauge stamped design (that is also a bit too tall to fit in the space nicely). There is no difference between the gas and diesel tanks in the earlier years except for how they are vented and the sending unit. To put the older tanks in '09-up vans, you need to get a little creative with the fuel level sending unit.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
The cutaway frame and the cargo/passenger van frames are different enough that the cross members for the aft of axle tanks don't fit quite right in the cargo/passenger vans. They can be made to work but not a perfect solution.

I have three vans here now (2 EBs and an RB) getting aft of axle tanks so I'm designing a set of cross members that will fit much better with a lot less work. Bolt-on parts (after drilling a few holes) and brackets for the vapor canister if needed.

I like the '08 and earlier tanks because they're super tough and made of very heavy gauge material and also baffled well. In '09 they cheaped out and went with a thin gauge stamped design (that is also a bit too tall to fit in the space nicely). There is no difference between the gas and diesel tanks in the earlier years except for how they are vented and the sending unit. To put the older tanks in '09-up vans, you need to get a little creative with the fuel level sending unit.
interesting. i'm actually going the other way. have an 11-14 e450 rear 55 gal tank, that i'm going to try to mount in my 2000 EB. looks like you need to cut out the spare tire crossmember, and relocate the other crossmember that is there, and add one more to have a place to attach the the other end of the tank straps.

this is it:
55 Gallon Fuel Tank For 2011-14 Ford E-250 E-350 Super Duty GAS Silver | eBay
Old 09-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #6

MgMetalworks/Expovans/Michael has done this. You've probably seen it already but if not it's here and on Expedition Portal.

I was thinking of doing this for awhile and watching CarPart.com for a used one but $226 for a new one with free shipping is amazing!

Old 09-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
MgMetalworks/Expovans/Michael has done this. You've probably seen it already but if not it's here and on Expedition Portal.

I was thinking of doing this for awhile and watching CarPart.com for a used one but $226 for a new one with free shipping is amazing!

the pics were hosted on photobucket, so i saw the post, but no pics. i did email MG, asking if he could send me the pics to help me figure out what all needs to be done/cut out/fabricated
Old 09-13-2017, 05:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bet on black View Post
the pics were hosted on photobucket, so i saw the post, but no pics. i did email MG, asking if he could send me the pics to help me figure out what all needs to be done/cut out/fabricated
Oh yeah, lots of us lost lots of pics with Photobucket, those heartless thieves.

I know you cut out the spare rack or better yet remove the pins and completely take it out (much harder but frees up space), move the second cross brace forwards and need to order the 'hump' and fuel door, inlet and associated parts from Ford to do it like he did. He has a dimple die set made where he put a factory fuel door rear of the left rear wheel. I saw the pics while they were there, it was slick. Hopefully he can help you out.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #9

The tank in my van was mounted with custom cross members. The other tanks I've done I used the Ford cross members. I prefer the custom pieces but I'm simplifying them now for lower cost and easier install.

The fuel door recess dies I made...

For the ford cross members, just look at pictures of chassis cabs.

That tank you have pictured is a great price. I think it hangs down too low though. I did one van with that style of tank and it hangs down a few inches farther than the older tanks.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:55 AM   #10

thanks for the pics. for the price i figured it was worth a shot trying to fit it. my van has a 7" lift in the rear, so that may help with ground clearance. looking under my van, it seems i could relocate the factory cross-member forward, and then just have to make one for the rear.

those fuel door dies are pretty slick!