Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #1

Bouncing Cabinets

Humm. I was on some washboard yesterday on my way to view a fire (it was getting too close to our house). Heard a new, loud noise. Looked back to see the freak'n cabinet that houses the stove, micro, and sink moving around. Pulled a drawer to see that no less than six screws were missing from angle brackets (four where the cabinet mates to the wall, and two missing from where a stile mates to the countertop. No screws to be found. As the holes are small, it sort of looks like they were pre-drilled and someone forgot to go back and install the screws. Of course, I can't reach the brackets. Looks like I'll be pulling the stove/sink/countertop to gain access to the brackets. Might tackle it tomorrow night with lots of Titebond and new screws. For the straight corners (and depending on access), I might make long brackets out of alum angle that I picked up from Home Depot so I'd have a much larger bonding area.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #2

Man that sucks. Do they rush to assemble these things? I've heard many stories like yours. We took our SMB for its first run saturday on some fire roads and nothing like that happened... but i'll tell you this.. im going to double check every screw after every run we go on.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #3

Old 08-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #4

I can't be positive the holes are pre-drill holes or it there were screws once upon a time (its way back, so can't get up close and personal). However, my guess is its just pre-drill holes as there doesn't seem to be any tearing (lack of loose screws doesn't mean a whole lot as I'm not the orign owner). There really needs to be more brackets and or better brackets in these things. Fortunately, that's a nice clean, easy fix (not like changing that damn water pump). I suppose these things happen when it comes to custom apps (even three of the four gaucho seatbelts are too short to use, which should have been discovered before it ever left the factory). Here's the cabinet:

I needed to go in and make things extra secure anyway. I might be using that general area for a support for a TV mount (not sure if I'll build a support bracket that goes from the counter top to the steel PH top roof reinforcement, or perhaps a bracket going from the floor to the van roof reinforcement (also screwed to the cabinet side). Perhaps I can find a piece of scrap Corian to swap out the current countertop while I'm at it.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #5

What's behind the green door?

Can anyone tell me what is behind the wall panels (where angle brackets screw into)? The wall panels are too thin to hold anything, so there must be some sort of backing or, perhaps, cabinets screw into the body frames, cross braces, etc.? Thanks.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage

this is sweet
Old 08-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #7

Got the answer from SMB: "...the screws go through 5/32" lauan paneling which is pretty strong.Thanks"

Humm, pretty strong maybe, but obviously not strong enough. Going to glue and screw for now. If it continues to be a problem, I'll have to pull the cabinets and come up with a backing plate (likely glue strips of sheet metal to the back of the panels that I've also attached small weld nuts to). Other than pulling and reinstalling the cabinets, it would be an easy, perm, fix.