Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #1

Brakeman Brake Service

For those of you with the upgraded Brakeman Brakes please note the following information that I acquired this last week when I had my Pad's serviced at South Bay Car Care .
#1 Pre order the replacement pad's as they are of special design and composition and available only thru the Brakeman , Hubert ordered and had them waiting for my service appointment .
#2 You might want to order the Seals as well , due to the fact that these brake's have extremely tight tolerance's to keep dust and foreign matter out ( No Dust Boot's )
#3 Make sure that whoever does the work clean's the inside of the Caliper's completely free of any of the above mentioned dust and foreign matter prior to reassembly as the tolerance's on these Brake's can damage the seals !!!! if not spotless .
#4 Cory at Brakeman recommended that Caliper's should be rebuilt every 2 to 4 year's , this can be done in 3 to 4 days during a scheduled downtime . These Brake's are designed for Nascar , Sprint Cars , Trophy Truck's and Class 1 Buggy's and the extreme heat and abuse that these vehicles subject them to . If equipment is not available for the rebuilding of the Calipers they can be sent directly to The Brakeman for rebuilding and pressure testing of the Seals and Piston's .
#5 Explain carefully the above procedures to any and all who will be doing your service , clean , clean Caliper's are mandatory before reassembly or your Seal's can be Damaged !!!
If you have questions you can call the Brakeman direct for very GOOD SERVICE .
Greggde

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:23 AM   #2

Re: Brakeman Brake Service

Question:

1) total cost for all four wheels to convert?

2) is it worth it? (meaning, a noticable differnce, and i do not tow anything)

thanx
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:01 AM   #3

Bill,
At the time of our 2007 build at SportsMobile it was a $5,000.00 plus option I would contact
Peter and find out current costing . The newer Ford Vans come with the upsized Brake's from the factory and from what I understand there are a couple of other after market choice's on the market now . I would do it again without question because of the weight's involved with these conversions and with that said I double and triple the distance's that I follow any vehicle ahead of me at speed's greater than 25 MPH .
Greggde
Old 07-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Greg you went with the larger calipers?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #5

If you don't want to spend the big bucks on the full conversion you can buy their rotors and brake pads which help significantly. They quoted me about $830 (two weeks ago) for all four wheel rotor replacement and pads (obviously with me doing the install). The full conversion requires you to go to 17" wheels to fit their calipers and their calipers are very expensive so it would be a pricey upgrade as mentioned above not including the cost of new wheels and tires.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:08 AM   #6

Dave ,
I believe that they are larger Calipers and after owning numerous E-350's , both 2 and 4 wheel drives I knew that I would be under braked with the stock set up at our weight .
Greggde
Old 07-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
If you don't want to spend the big bucks on the full conversion you can buy their rotors and brake pads which help significantly. They quoted me about $830 (two weeks ago) for all four wheel rotor replacement and pads (obviously with me doing the install). The full conversion requires you to go to 17" wheels to fit their calipers and their calipers are very expensive so it would be a pricey upgrade as mentioned above not including the cost of new wheels and tires.
So their rotors and pads are compatible with stock Ford calipers?

Herb
Old 07-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #8

Yes. They had to call sportsmobile with my VIN to make sure they had the right parts. It is a direct replacement kit. I have an 06 with 16" wheels.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
So their rotors and pads are compatible with stock Ford calipers?

Herb
Yep, I also had SMB to this upgrade last time I was there for service. I've got 16" wheels. Total cost was about $1k. There is a noticeable improvement, but not a huge change. The physics of a 10k+ pound vehicle are hard to overcome.
R
Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #10

Amen !!!
Greggde