Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2019, 03:10 PM   #11

Frame maximum side rail section, section modulus and yield strength are lowest on 150 and highest on 350, with 250 in between. The Ford fleet site used to have all the details but the E-series has now been removed.

I found some specs on pages 5-8 of this document.

Bottom line, the 150 frame is the lightest and the 350 heaviest. Which makes sense.

SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Ford 8.8" used in the E150 of those years has a pinion length of 11-5/8"

Dana 60 pinion length = 13-5/16". There's a far bit of extra plunge in the transmission output shaft. Probably would have to unbolt the driveline and just try it, to see if there's enough. Or swap over the driveline too.

Am I the only one here constantly amazed that @carringb knows these things? Amazing. And thanks for always being so willingly to share your knowledge and help out.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Am I the only one here constantly amazed that @carringb knows these things? Amazing. And thanks for always being so willingly to share your knowledge and help out.
No, I'm amazed too. Thanks carringb, and thanks everyone for the input so far. As usual, you guys have thought of things I hadn't considered. More variables in the equation now, but at least I know what I'm getting myself into.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:04 AM   #14

Get in touch with U-Joint off-road. They make a kit for just this purpose. Very well made, extremely useful website with a ton of info. I have their kit on my van and I’m extremely pleased.

Also, FYI lug pattern is different between F series and E series.
151fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:11 AM   #15

Garage
Hey 86Scotty I'm here. I didnt actually swap a 350 axle into a 150 but my situation is different anyway because my 150 was a 2010 cargo van which means it had a 250 chassis. Eventually I swapped in a Dana 60 after the conversion so you could just do that .

Yes CarringB is a van guru that has helped me more times than I even know.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #16

You mentioned you had both vans correct? Alot of these questions can be answered with a tape measure. The rear axle is not an issue. Even if the van spring hangers have narrower dimension, you can use the 350 axle spring pack and have a main leaf made with the E150 hanger width and length if shorter (which I doubt) and narrower. As far as pinion lengths and housing dimensions, these are all readily available on the Dana Site for Dana axles, I am sure there is a site for Sterling as well! The 8.8 if that is what you have you can measure yourself. I believe some E150's were available as option with rear Dana 60"s but again this is speculation. If your drive shaft is aluminum then you will have to have a new one made unless you find a shop that will cut and weld the aluminum one. If you lift it and you get the proper size yoke for the rear you may be able to use the existing drive line. The front I beam setup should be similar in lengths. To be sure you can match part numbers for I beam bushing replacement and if the 150 is the same as the 350 you have one less doubt! Again we can speculate all day long but the tape measure will answer all your questions exactly.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote