Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #1

Cargo Bar for Penthouse lift assist

I've just broken another cargo bar while lifting the Penthouse. This is the second in 3 years, both broke the same way, with the ratchet teeth stripped out. I'm asking more of it than it is designed to handle. We often carry a raft frame or kayaks on the roof and need help raising the top when we do. Between boats and gear, Yakima rack, and a solar panel, I'm guessing we're trying to lift between 120 and 150 lbs.

I've adjusted the PH springs already and I've got the materials to build the LenS electric drill lift. It remains the be seen if the electric drill lift is up the challenge that has destroyed 2 cargo bars. I sure hope so.

In the meantime, I'm looking for a better made, more robust cargo bar than I've been able to find at Home Depot or Lowes. Any recommendations?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190430_122207.jpg   IMG_20190430_122130.jpg  

sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:31 PM   #2

Any TA or Petro truck stop has the good ones. You could also try online truck supply places like USCargoControl (.com).......but......Cargo bars are only meant to cinch up to each side of a trailer to keep cargo from falling. Trailers are build as lightly as possible, so if cargo bars were built strong enough to do what you're asking they would just flex the trailer walls out. To be clear, using a cargo bar for your purpose is not what a cargo bar was made for, at all.

With my SMB pop top (solar and a Thule box with lots in it) I just got to the point where it couldn't be raised. When I forced it the top would sway to one side or the other, depending on how level or off level I was. I gave in and just carried less weight in the box.

Have you considered just offloading the boats? It's probably your safest bet for longevity of your PH top.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
To be clear, using a cargo bar for your purpose is not what a cargo bar was made for, at all.
Understood, I know I'm asking the cargo bar to do way more than it was ever designed for. But it's a commonly recommended solution to lifting a loaded PH top and there are lots of SMB's with racks and plenty of gear on the roof.

Thanks for the recommendations on the truck stop cargo bars, I'll check them out. And I've completed the electric drill lift assist (Thanks LenS!), it works great with the solar panel and Yakima bars. Later this week I'll be trying it with the raft frame on the roof and report back.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:50 PM   #4

Have you seen member Boywonder(s) thread where he uses hydraulic struts to assist the top?
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALO View Post
Have you seen member Boywonder(s) thread where he uses hydraulic struts to assist the top?
No, but if Boywonder has a solution it's probably a good one. He comes up with some amazing ideas. Thanks for the tip, search function here I come!
Old 04-30-2019, 11:00 PM   #6

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...gs-1084-9.html

Here ya go.

Not his thread I guess.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:39 PM   #7

Hey Buffalo, thanks for the link. I was looking for it in Boywonder's "Popping my top" thread, all 35 pages of it. Didn't find it there, of course, but it was a fun hour of checking out his build.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:22 AM   #8

Lol sorry about that! I thought it was in there originally.
His idea seems like a really good one. I have to do something with my top soon also. It has got harder to lift over the years.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:19 AM   #9

Garage
Aluminess has a pretty awesome air lift system. I don’t believe it is on the website. Dave down there showed me his and it works very well.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokaman View Post
Aluminess has a pretty awesome air lift system. I don’t believe it is on the website. Dave down there showed me his and it works very well.
Middle of the page.
https://www.aluminess.com/accessorie...r-accessories/

Herb