Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2009, 03:33 PM   #11

Re: Chair bracket removal?

In '03 the brackets were probably made by Kustom Fit in South Gate, CA. They don't sell to the public (at least they didn't in the past). A couple years ago SMB started using Flex-Steel because Kustom Fit quit making the 3rd and 4th seat bases.

I'd try any of the three SMB locations to see if they have the part you need in "old" stock. If not, complete new Flex-Steel bases are the way to go.

John K.

John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

OT

JK,

Just in case you have not heard it lately, I am sure glad you are around. Thanks for all the help and explanation you provide.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kalmbach
In '03 the brackets were probably made by Kustom Fit in South Gate, CA. They don't sell to the public (at least they didn't in the past). A couple years ago SMB started using Flex-Steel because Kustom Fit quit making the 3rd and 4th seat bases.

I'd try any of the three SMB locations to see if they have the part you need in "old" stock. If not, complete new Flex-Steel bases are the way to go.

John K.
John,

Thanks for this tip. I've trying to figure out who made these brackets for awhile. Sano
sanoserfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #14

It may be a bit of a crude solution for your problem, but you could just grind the heads off the bolts on the topside. A tarp or drop cloth and some masking would keep debris out of the interior, and two or three minutes with an angle grinder would have the seat base out of there.

If you don't have one yourself, most rental centers could hook you up with a grinder, or you could roll by any welding shop in your area with your interior pre-tarped/masked and for a couple of $20s they'd probably be happy to remove the bolts.

The bolts may be captured by the heat shield, but you could wait to remove them until your next major underside service.

Just my two cents.

Sam
Old 05-31-2009, 07:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by northleftcoast
It may be a bit of a crude solution for your problem, but you could just grind the heads off the bolts on the topside. A tarp or drop cloth and some masking would keep debris out of the interior, and two or three minutes with an angle grinder would have the seat base out of there.

If you don't have one yourself, most rental centers could hook you up with a grinder, or you could roll by any welding shop in your area with your interior pre-tarped/masked and for a couple of $20s they'd probably be happy to remove the bolts.

The bolts may be captured by the heat shield, but you could wait to remove them until your next major underside service.

Just my two cents.

Sam
Sam, I think your idea is a good one. The only problem I have with it is the possibility of the bolts being captured by the heat shield and possibly bouncing out and creating a road hazard for someone else or rattling around in the heat shield. What is involved in removing the heat shield. Mine protects a gray water tank and some PVC pipe. Thanks Sano
Old 06-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #16

Quote:
What is involved in removing the heat shield. Mine protects a gray water tank and some PVC pipe.
The heat shields that I removed were parallel to the van cargo area floor to protect flooring from the exhaust system. I removed them temporarily to install some seats in my van. They were just attached to the cross body frame members with some sheet metal screws (I think they were self tapping with phillips/hex heads). While they were easy to remove, getting a proper screwdriver or socket on the heads took a bit of creativity.

Sounds like you may have a bit more of a job on your hands with the tank and plumbing below them. With the tank empty would the bracketry that holds it up be difficult to remove and later re-install?

A couple of pictures or a diagram might spur a few more clever ideas...?
Old 06-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #17

Your approach sounds like one that I will be able to benefit from, one way or another. Emptying the tank first makes a lot of sense!!!! Having a photo of what is on top of the holding tank or a diagram of how Sportsmobile installed the holding tank and the bracket would helpful. The plumbing below the bracket sets in place a whole set of different possible problems and solutions for removing the bracket. I appreciate your sharing what worked for you. Hopefully part of what you did will work for me an others experiencing the same situation.