Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2019, 01:11 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Do you really use that 110v compressor? At least for me the shore power compressor wasn't worth the money and if it fails I'll probably just try to remove it. Have you priced other add on air systems like the Danhard to replace the Starcool?
What system are you taking about, I can't find any Danhard 110v add on sytems (only 1 or 2 bigger systems not available to public), that would make things easier for sure though.

nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
Thanks, definitely looking for something like that to protect the radiator coils more, aint cheap though, geez.

I was also looking at this and it seems like it would work good and is Aluminum? Price is better at $342 (plus $35-45 Freight) and takes about 10 days to make as its custom for them. Pulls a little less air but should still be better than what I originally had, this has a 16" fan and what I took off was only a 12". thoughts?

Condenser 108 - 50 000 879
Slightly less BTU and CFM but the price is right. I don't see why that one wouldn't work.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:39 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
Slightly less BTU and CFM but the price is right. I don't see why that one wouldn't work.
I agree, went ahead and ordered one, should fit well in the spare tire location. Now just need to figure out what to do about the compressor and figure out how to get it all hooked up together.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:01 PM   #14

I have the Danhard 12v only, rear AC system in my van(not technically Starcool III) but it was provided by SMB directly as an AC option back in 2000 when my van was built.

It ties into the factory Ford AC system. They way it does this is via a loop connector under the hood and a T connector under the hood that connect to existing Ford AC hoses. Those two connectors are attached to 2 long ass hoses that run to the back driver's side of the van where the Danhard Evaporator(the evap picture you posted that has the 4 hose ducts attached to it). That's it, that is my whole system.

With this system I am able to provide AC to the rear of the van while the engine is running. I do not have stand alone AC provided via a generator or a 110 outlet. If you are looking to simplify down to what I have I can provide more detailed info as to all the actual parts that I used. Let me know.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:53 AM   #15

We gave up on ours a few years ago and installed a ceiling mounted A/C. Still us the Starcool DC feature when driving as it is cooled vis the vehicle compressor so fan in rear works as it should; otherwise, in our desert heat, the vehicle gets really hot, even in cab area while driving. Afraid to disconnect Starcool compressor for fear of interrupting cool air while driving! Only disadvantage is can’t drop main fuel tank; Hope that eon’t Be an issue. Good luck. Note, if you get a roof cooler, try to mount it at mid-body OR try to get cool air exit to be fire and aft; ours is at rear with side to side exit and takes for ever to get cool air to front.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:27 PM   #16

Starcool III manual

HI,

I have a copy of the owners/service manual. I'll be able to save it as PDF tomorrow and post it next week.

Kelly
Old 05-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #17

Garage
Still waiting on my beast of a condenser to come in, ProAir was going to be about a month out on the nice little unit I posted earlier so they gave me a big discount and I am getting this double fan beast from them instead, haha.

Condenser 106 - 50 000 517

I think It should still fit in the area I am trying to put it in the spare tire location and I definitely wont have any issues with it not being enough flow holy cow. That's the only other option they had in stock, it does sit more flush, its just alot bigger..... I am going to reinstall my old compressor once I get all new connections. If it still doesn't really work with the new condenser then ill eventually replace it since I found them in stock online. That way I can do that in the future as funds allow and I will still be able to use the 12v rear ac while driving without completely ditching the whole system yet.

I found a hose shop locally that will put new ends on my hoses if they are in good enough condition so I don't have to buy all new long ass hoses so that's cool. The not cool part is getting those long ass hoses out, my van is in the shop getting a ton of custom suspension and steering work done so once its back Ill try and tackle that project. Wish me luck
Old 05-23-2019, 10:52 PM   #18

I'm looking forward to seeing how this all works out. If it turns out the system can be reliable and adequately cool the van, it will be a huge vote for keeping the 2002 and selling the 2001
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:15 AM   #19

Garage
Well this thing came in and is a beauty, It will be nice to have the condenser protected with the aluminum enclosure.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:43 PM   #20

Garage
Smile

Do you have an update yet?
Sboring35 is offline   Reply With Quote