Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #1

Garage
Countertop for kitchen

Hi All,

Starting to remodeled a bit of our van. I build a new shelf this weekend and I am very proud of the result:-).

I would like to change the color of my kitchen countertop. The current one is in really great shape and has nothing to blame except the color (marble blue).

My friend told me that removing the top and putting a new one, would be like opening a "can of worms". Everything is so well fixed and structure that I am pretty sure that I will be able to give the same result myself.

So, I am looking for another option that will not touch the structures of the cabinet.

My first option was a vinyl (peel and stick), it is chip and easy to install. But I figure out that would be not the best option if I am using it for a kitchen. The accident would be that I will putt the hot pan on it :-). Cost 30-50

OPtion 2 is, putting a new nice laminate over the old laminate. The issue, is the laminate will be 1mm over, so I will have a small edge. Cost 80-150.

Please let me know your best idea on this. Attached is a lucky picture of the current laminate.

thanks

Bast
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5866.jpg  

Old 02-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #2

Countertop for kitchen

I would NOT do peel and stick cover. That won’t last long at all. I can’t imagine a whole new counter being that hard to make and install. Most SMB cabinets are just held together with L-brackets or at most pocket screw joints.

If you want to go very easy, buy a pre-made countertop cheap from IKEA and just cut it to size and cut out the openings.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #3

Take a careful look at how the counter top is attached to the cabinet structure. If it is held on with L brackets then remove them and the top may come right off depending if they also used glue or not.

If you do not see any brackets holding the top on the the cabinet SMB may have screwed/glued it to the frame before applying the blue laminate. In this case your best bet is to put new laminate over the existing. You may also want to pull the T mounding on the edge of the countertop and glue a piece of laminate to it to clean up the edge.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I would NOT do peel and stick cover. That won’t last long at all. I can’t imagine a whole new counter being that hard to make and install. Most SMB cabinets are just held together with L-brackets or at most pocket screw joints.

If you want to go very easy, buy a pre-made countertop cheap from IKEA and just cut it to size and cut out the openings.
Thanks. Do you mean, removing the countertop and putting a new IKEA? it is L shape in my GTRV, but as I said, everything is so well fixed that I am scared that I will never be able to make it that well:-)

What about a vinyl sheet for flooring?
Old 02-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
Take a careful look at how the countertop is attached to the cabinet structure. If it is held on with L brackets then remove them and the top may come right off depending if they also used glue or not.

If you do not see any brackets holding the top on the cabinet SMB may have screwed/glued it to the frame before applying the blue laminate. In this case, your best bet is to put new laminate over the existing. You may also want to pull the T mounding on the edge of the countertop and glue a piece of laminate to it to clean up the edge.
There is L bracket but there since 2001 and very well fixed. The new laminate option sounds the best option. It does not sound complicated to glue this.

For the edge, I do agree with you.