Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #1

Cruise Control quits intermittently

Hi all my cruise control sometimes randomly turns off while on cruise, I press the resume button and it comes back on immediately. Having said that it does come on every time i engage it.

Recently I did do the Hydroboost swap with same year Van parts. I have a feeling it is something to do with the brakes. For whatever reason brake must send a signal that it has been tapped and cruise disengages.

My question to you experts is:

- Is the brake light switch on the pedal is what the computer uses to disengage the cruise when pressed?

- Or is it one of the pressure sensors on the Master Cylinder? If yes which one is it, because i see two sensors?

- Also I did not bleed the lines yet, did bleed the Master Cylinder though. Could that be a problem? FYI: Braking power is fine.

karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:58 PM   #2

I have that issue once in a blue moon...now curious......2008 5.4L

..I always assumed that the cruise defeat was just in the brake light switch circuit, but never really investigated it....so hoping to learn something here.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #3

Garage
My ebrake cables are currently missing. To get the brake light off so the cc will work I have to use a small bungee to hold the foot pedal up. I noticed a few months ago that the cc wasn’t working and the ebrake warning light wasn’t on. I fumbled around with the foot pedal for a sec and was able to get the brake lever up just a smidge. Went and tried it again and it worked. So not sure if it’s the actual indash light that’s the show stopper or not, but it doesn’t seem like it to me. Since it was on the freeway I didn’t investigate further but maybe there’s another switch or something that allows the cc to work on the foot pedal??
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #4

The buttons on the wheel could also be failing... had that happen to me once.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:17 PM   #5

Pretty common cause of the cruise control dropping out is due to the "safety" switch on the bottom of the master cylinder. Kit #SW-6350 or 1L1Z-9F924-AA is an easy fix. Just unscrew the old one and in with the new. Done several and usually only lose a few drops of fluid.
Bought 'em here: https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-SW.../dp/B000IYLZDO

Good luck.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:04 AM   #6

Cruise control monitors both the M/C and pedal switch, and also the parking-brake light (since that doubles as the brake system fault light). Scatter is correct that the M/C sensor is the most common to fail, which is why Ford issued that huge recall a while back.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:46 AM   #7

Thanks guys will change the safety switch and see what happens.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:11 AM   #8

The CC worked intermittently or not at all on my van. Turned out the brake pressure switch on the master cylinder was the culprit. I used a small piece of wire to 'jumper' connect the female plug from the pressure switch as a test to see if I could get it working. The jumper works so well replacing the switch has gone way down on my to-do list. Hopefully your issue is the same, and as easy.

For reference:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post124193
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #9

Just replaced the pressure switch..... now need to go for a long drive to see if it fixed the problem.

My problem is only limited to CC intermittently cancelling itself while it is set. But it does come on every time i try to engage it or re-engage it
Old 05-26-2018, 11:45 PM   #10

Thanks guys the MC sensor fixed the issue.