Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 06:25 AM   #11

Thanks for that discussion. My CC has been dropping out from time to time also. It won't engage for a while and then for no reason starts working again. Thought it was the steering wheel switches, but the safety switch sounds more likely. Will give that a try. I was hoping it would just completely quit so it would be easier to troubleshoot.

Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:28 PM   #12

My van developed the same problem back in 2012...cruise control would just randomly turn itself off. I took it to the nearest Ford dealer and they diagnosed it as a faulty brake switch p/n 3L3Z9F924AB. Replaced that faulty switch and the problem has not reoccurred since. Switch cost me $44 in 2012.

But I have to say...that's the ONLY mechanical problem I've had with the van since I bought it in 2008. LOVE this thing.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #13

Super common issue it appears with these. I had the same thing with mine several years ago. I bought the part online for around $25 and fixed it myself in about 15 minutes. This is an easy one to tackle if one is at all inclined.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:14 PM   #14

This is a big thank you to all the folks that mentioned the pressure switch is a known issue. I didn't know. Many years ago my cruise control completely quit working. I had no motivation to try to find a fix as the handling was so bad up until recently that I didn't have the nerve to use cruse control. White knucking it and under 65 MPH was pretty much the norm for a few years. Since sorting out the handling, 75+MPH, texting, and eating a sandwich is the new norm I was kind of missing CC. Because of this thread I confirmed the switch wasn't working on some diagnostic software, a few button clicks on Amazon, five minutes to change the sender and boom, cruise control again.

Thanks a lot guys.
-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:19 PM   #15

Just put the switch in mine this week (well, I had Ford do it), but haven't used it enough yet to know if that fixed it. Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #16

Garage
I realize the OPs issue has been resolved but i wanted to share a little more information that might help everyone. The reason Ford had a recall on the speed control system was due to the wires for the pressure switch basically acting like a wick and wicking brake fluid out, deteriorating the wiring coating and running the risk of catching fire. The fix is installing a fused wiring harness(and sensor if leaking). This will pop the fuses if it shorts instead of sparking off. Please note YOUR VEHICLE CAN CATCH ON FIRE DUE TO THIS EVEN IF ITS TURNED OFF.
I've worked at a Ford dealer for 10 years and i've only seen 3 that have caught on fire from it...but they were DESTROYED...i'm talking like it melted steering wheel, engine engine compartment...completely totaled.

All of these have been talked about already but common causes:
1)brake pedal switch. Usually pretty easy to figure that out, do your brake lights work? Some switches actually have 2 switches in one, one for the lights and one that turns off the speed control. You can tell by looking at it and seeing how many wires are coming in/out of it.
2) brake pressure switch on master cyl
3)clock spring
4) steering wheel mounted buttons
5)Cruise control servo(mostly see these go bad on RVs)
JOELMUNOZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:00 PM   #17

Just an update on mine. After having the dealer replace the switch, we just came back from a 2500 mile road trip and so far it has worked perfectly. Hope this doesn't jinx the fix.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:23 PM   #18

So what your saying JOELMUNOZ3 is that just replacing the master cylinder sensor will NOT fix the potential fire issue? That there is an updated wiring harness that is needed?

This pig tail adapter came with my FOMOCO sensor but I chalked it up to an adapter so the kit could be used on different vehicles. It doesn't look like there is a fuse in it and the one small plug didn't look like it would fit my van harness so I didn't use it.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:29 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
So what your saying JOELMUNOZ3 is that just replacing the master cylinder sensor will NOT fix the potential fire issue? That there is an updated wiring harness that is needed?

This pig tail adapter came with my FOMOCO sensor but I chalked it up to an adapter so the kit could be used on different vehicles. It doesn't look like there is a fuse in it and the one small plug didn't look like it would fit my van harness so I didn't use it.

- Eric
That definitely an adapter not the fused link. The fused link looks similar but has a couple fuses. When i get to work tomorrow I'll snap a pic of one.
Also, if anyone want to post their VIN i can run it to see if the recall applies to yours.
JOELMUNOZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:35 PM   #20

Garage
I swapped steering wheels and now I have no cruise. Are the switches that common of a fail or could I have blown a fuse somehow?