Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #1

Danhard replacement for Starcool

Sorry I meant Danhard. The reason for the replacement is that the Starcool needs two 2000 watt Hondas or at least 2300 watts to start the compressor. The Danhard can be set up to get the extra wattage through an invertor. Its going to cost $$$ but I cannot carry two generators without multiple fuel sources. I seldom get access to line power.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #2

This interests me because I have the same problem.
Using my van for emergency existence without access to electricity means I'm up a creek as far as the Starcool is concerned and in South Texas hurricane season, that spells desperation. Which outlet is doing the change over? CA, TX or IN?
Is it impolite to ask for a rough estimate of the job?
Old 08-06-2008, 07:52 AM   #3

I am North TX so we have the same issue. Its Austin and the indicative quote is $2150 plus your age divided by your birthdate as these things always are.

I have a special compartment built on the side of the van for a single Honda but 2 requires a rear hitch mounted panier which has security issues in a lot of places I have to park overnight.

This last weekend the twin Honda set up was not sufficient to keep the Starcool running 100% of the time plus charge the battery with the fridge and the CO detector operating. After 2 days of this regimen and running the fridge for 2 nights, on the morning of day 3, the battery voltage was down to 8 volts. It recovered once I found a 110volt outlet. The OAT was 107 at 3 pm on both days and the interior temp was 87, better but not great. Parked on aspahlt with no shade whatosever.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:26 AM   #4

Nancy at sportsmobile north says they also danhard AC

gerry
Old 08-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #5

Uh oh, SMB Inc. using "danhard" as a verb.
This can only spell trouble for my check book!
Vlamgat, what's the year and layout of your van? Do you have a photo of the space you have for your Honda 2K or can you describe it to me?
So when you're done with your switch, you'll have the Danhard, the Honda generator and that will give you enough to run your systems when parked?
Do you have any solar?
I'm just trying to figure out how our vans compare.
Thanks.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
The third element needed to run the Danhard with the Honda 2000 is a generator that is smart enough to power-share and provide a few amps from the battery when the AC first kicks on. We found that the Xantrex RS2000 (top of the line) could not do it, even though Danhard, and Xantrex both said it should be working. We tried two different RS2000s. We swamped out for a Xantrex Prosine 2.0 and everything works great!
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #7

Thanks for the tip on in the Prosine inverter. I presume Paul knows about this and will fit accordingly.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #8

I have a 2000 PSD XLT (iow it has all the windows on the stretched chassis) and the lay out is mostly EB41. The generator is housed in an enclosure that is under the burner on the passenger side (although I do not have the burner that's its position) and is accessible from an external lockable door. I obviously remove the generator to operate and secure it to the hitch when I am away from the van. The second generator is either carried in my towed 29' race trailer or on a hitch mounted panier when the trailer is not needed. The latter is a security issue on some occasions but in heat conditions like last weekend I would load the second generator anyway.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat
I am North TX so we have the same issue. Its Austin and the indicative quote is $2150 plus your age divided by your birthdate as these things always are.

I have a special compartment built on the side of the van for a single Honda but 2 requires a rear hitch mounted panier which has security issues in a lot of places I have to park overnight.

This last weekend the twin Honda set up was not sufficient to keep the Starcool running 100% of the time plus charge the battery with the fridge and the CO detector operating. After 2 days of this regimen and running the fridge for 2 nights, on the morning of day 3, the battery voltage was down to 8 volts. It recovered once I found a 110volt outlet. The OAT was 107 at 3 pm on both days and the interior temp was 87, better but not great. Parked on aspahlt with no shade whatosever.

would you explain the lockable side door. also do you actually run
the honda inside this compartment-or only carry it a remove to
use.

gerry
Old 08-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #10

The door is an aluminum compartment that is about 1" larger all round than the Honda. It is completely sealed on the interior and occupies all the space in cupboard that would ordinarily be under the burners except I do not have a burner. It has an exterior door with a lock. I can slide the Honda into that compartment which has small vents to I can place the Honda there without waiting for it to cool down. I do NOT run the Honda from inside this compartment, its for transport only. When I park in an unsecured area and need to run the Honda I remove it, start and connect it and put a motorcycle lock around the Honda handle and my tow hitch. In this way on long tows I have been able to pull into truck stops and keep the Starcool running (joining the cacophony generated by the idling trucks) and not be overly concerned about the Honda walking away in the night while I am catching some zzzz's. At the moment however I need 2 Hondas so the second one is stored in the trailer I am towing. On the few occasions I make a long o/n trip without the trailer I use a hitch carrier to hold the second Honda and secure both to the hitch. On these hot TX nights I have been able to get 6 hours from a tank of gas even with auto idle engaged. This stretched last weekend to much more than that with midnight temps around 75 deg rather than the 90 plus we have seen in TX this Summer.