Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #11

Re: dead battery

Should I use a trickle charger or a float charger? Will the trickle charger ever over charge the battery?

parabellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabellum
Should I use a trickle charger or a float charger? Will the trickle charger ever over charge the battery?
Float if they are dead, it will take a very log time with a trickle charger, but it will work.
The idea of a trickle charger is you can never overcharge a battery, but I have used ones in the passed that will kill a battery over time.
I use the BatteryTender brand, model designed for a motorcycles, on all my cars and bikes, they seem to work very well, never over charge, and are cheap.
They do have models designed for cars, but the bike ones are cheaper / smaller and work just as well for me.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:49 AM   #13

SheepShagger's right on here parabellum. I use 'em all the time on everything from bikes, boats, quads, cars, and the van. Only way to go if a rig is going to be left for awhile. I use the solar ones from Harbor Freight in Baja where power is a problem.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

It might be important to factor in the standard load that your van pulls while at rest. I have found that an alarm (and other minimal loads like detectors) can pull a specific amount over what some light weight chargers can put out. Slightly larger loads as compared to what the charger can provide will produce a draw (or loss) and eventually kill your batteries even though they are connected and operating. This is where a high tech multi stage automatic charger shines. These chargers only supply what is needed; no over charging or under charging. Most high end charger/converters do this. Obviously the house and starting batteries must be tied together by some means to keep both up to par. But I have used a 1 amp charger on my Impala (that has an alarm) with good success. The SMB is another story and I use the "smart charger" that's provided with the inverter to keep things fully charged. This is not to say a trickle charger will not work, only to understand the consequences. Just monitor it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #15

Location: Rolling Hills, Mammoth Mountain, Coeur d Alene Idaho

FWIW-I have used the deltran battery tender junior 12-volt 750 ma battery charger on my 6.0 psd at home in Los Angeles as well as an Escalade and 2 ATV's I have in Northern Idaho during the winter for months on end and for the last 2 years they have all stayed perfectly charged.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #16

I plug my shore power in and turn my inverter to charge when leaving my van sit for any period of time.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost
winvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #17

The van is finally up and running. Since the van was under warranty I had Ford tow it to their shop. They jumped and charged the batteries for me, twice, yup it died again.

Since then I put in a trickle charger and all seems to be fine.

Everyone has been most helpful! Mahalo.
parabellum is offline   Reply With Quote