Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #1

Door Galley opinions: CCV vs SMB

I would like to add one of the nifty Swiss army style door galleys that SMB and CCV make to our 2006 E350 Chateau and wanted to gather thoughts on both from the community. I have confirmed that SMB sells them separately and found the YouTube video for the CCV one but have not gotten a reply to my email asking if they sell theirs still. Assuming they do, thoughts on the mounting method, usefulness, construction, etc of each? I haven’t seen either in person but if anyone in Phoenix has one that I can see that would be awesome too.

One major difference I see is that the SMB one pivots, but it seems like both end up with 3 tables so I’m not sure if that is good or bad. The pivot would make me a little worried about all that weight on the hinges too.

ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #2

In my case I constructed my own when I built out the interior. Lady Shadetree requested a door cabinet to use as her bar.

My rendition adds a lot of storage and creates a handy table when the side door is open. In my application I cut the interior metal frame of the van door out to recess the cabinet into the door. The back wall of the cabinet is scribed to the outer skin of the van door, with foam insulation and fabric acting as a buffer. Due to being recessed, the cabinet is deceptively deep. I was shocked how much stuff fit in there the first time I loaded the van.

There is a shelf in the cabinet. I determined the height of the shelf based on a typical wine bottles height. Above the shelf is enough height for 16 oz cans of soda.
For rigidity I did not make the cabinet swing out or further complicate the construction, as I saw no compelling reason to do so. Regardless of which one you ultimately end up with, they are a fantastic addition of storage and convenience.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3075.jpg   IMG_3185.jpg   IMG_3996.jpg  

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #3

We have the SMB door galley and really like it. Adds a bunch of storage and sits on post hinges so is easily removed for extra room when not needed.

Joe
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:29 PM   #4

I have had both and preferred the CCV one over the SMB’s. The construction of the CCV I felt was better but the drawback is it is not removable.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:57 PM   #5

Thanks everybody for the replies! CCV finally replied and theirs is now $1200+$100 shipping! Too rich for my blood. I worry a little bit about the Sportsmobile design and the particle board they use. So I think I’m just going to have one made. While I would like to make use of the space behind the box like SMB does I don’t feel the need to make it removable, and feel that having it sturdy is higher priority. I do however think I want to explore making a storage area on the other door like shadetreevanman has, that’s slick! We have an RB so any extra storage is a bonus. I’ll have to start reading up on how people have templated and created those. Maybe back doors too.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:12 PM   #6

My God, it's $100 worth of material. Look at his video and make one. Even if you do a lousy job it will be $1100 cheaper. Man, this #vanlife charge up kills me. I remember when Derek was a regular guy.

Greed is not the way.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:29 PM   #7

I guess they probably have their reasons? But I figure I can go through several iterations if i have to and still be way ahead. Finding the right hardware will be the trick i think. Probably best this way anyhow.

If anybody has inputs on any features they wish theirs had, let me know!
Old 09-13-2018, 07:49 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndubes View Post
I guess they probably have their reasons? But I figure I can go through several iterations if i have to and still be way ahead. Finding the right hardware will be the trick i think. Probably best this way anyhow.

$100 - $200 in materials, leaves a lot of room to buy some really sweet tools before you hit $1200. You could even start over a few times if you screw it up the first time.

Herb
Old 09-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #9

The materials needed are mostly scrap sizes too. I used 1/2” maple ply for the sides of my cabinets/recessed boxes and 1/4 maple ply for the door panels. Cover everything with trunk carpet from an auto upholstery supplier and you’ve got it mostly done. My first version of door box had a cabinet door covered in vinyl. I like the fit and finish of this versions formica covering better.

The biggest challenge I had was finding a latch I liked for the cabinet door.

As you plan and build, there’s some storage available in the rear doors too. The pass side with the license plate cutout doesn’t allow much depth, but a cutting board stores there nicely. The driver side has a lot of room if you’re not afraid of getting a grinder in there and making it accessible.

Good luck with your projects and keep us in the loop. Always cool to see how everyone else does it.
Attached Thumbnails
2BC15AA9-30D4-45DF-9E23-A8ED56E96315.jpg   76DD0830-D04D-4102-B77B-139E6FD5994C.jpg  

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndubes View Post
...... Finding the right hardware will be the trick i think. Probably best this way anyhow.

There are a few tricks on the hardware. Some of the things in camper van/Sportsmobile interiors are common in camper vans and nothing else. Once you learn the names (specific and common, which can be different) Google can help you find them.

Mcmaster Carr is a great site, perhaps a little intimidating at first if you are new to DIY/fabrication.

Marine sites/stores are awesome, same basic stuff we use in camper vans and often superior quality.

Use Google images to find/match/figure stuff out.

Ask here! Lots of knowledge here and we don't judge. For instance, ever hear of a Southco latch? SMBs are full of em. I never saw them at all until I started building vans. Now they are everyday.

Etc.....etc....

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccv, door galley, smb