Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #1

Door Latch

Does anyone know how to adjust the upper door latch on the small side door. This is the rear door on the 60/40 side doors. My upper latch won't engage unless I shut the door VERY firmly while pushing on the upper third of the door. Even then it will come unlatched on any kind of a washboard road. It's been this way since new and I thot I could adjust it by either moving the latch in the door or the bar on the van where the latch connects. I've loosened both of those and there isn't any adjustment. At least not on my '07. As a further gripe, why would Ford use a #25 Torx on bolts that are that tight?!?! I broke one tool and am close to breaking another just trying to loosen the dang things!!
Any ideas other then hitting a dealership when I get back to the States?

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:27 AM   #2

If the latches aren't adjustable then the hinges have to be!
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:58 PM   #3

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
While touring a Ford car assembly plant, they were adjusting the area you mentioned with a metal bar. Bend a little up/down until it closed smoothly.

Much quicker and does the same net effect that loosening a bolt...you only need about 1/8" shift. The dealer will likely do the same.

--------------------

The tight bolt is for safety...don't want the door breaking off, a tight bolt will not break off as easily as a looser one.

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:49 PM   #4

The hinges are adjustable, but I'm not sure how adjusting the hinge will help with the latch at the other end of the door. I also know about using a bar or stick in the door to "adjust" things. When I worked in a body shop we used that many times. Not sure I want to do it on a new, under warrentee rig.
Thanks for the input guys. I'll check it out more and if I come up with anything I'll post it.
Still don't know why they use a little #25 torx instead of something beefier on something that tight.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 12-07-2007, 08:35 AM   #5

Well Chris, I adjusted the top hinge a little and it is doing the trick so far. When I move the hinge in and out, it moves the door right and left. (I'm still working on that in my little mind) Bottom line is, moving the hinge in a little (the door to the right) seems to make the latch catch better. Time will tell.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 12-07-2007, 10:46 AM   #6

I thought that might work. Don't be afraid to adjust it further. Yes, it can be counter-intuitive. Keep in mind no two vans are alike in terms of door fit so adustment HAS to be possible. You may have a van that is severely out of adjustment right from the factory. The body is not completely rigid so stuff moves. Keep playing. You will become a van door expert for the forum.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #7

I realize this thread is a bit older, but I was having a similar problem with my side door latch popping loose when the van body flexed at all (latch releasing to the first, partially closed click). Latch seemed to line up fine. Made the latch close manually and noticed it really didn't want to click/latch in the fully closed position (second fully closed click). Could force the latch closed to get it to the fully closed position manually (by hand), but it was taking a lot of effort. Seemed it wasn't getting to the second clicking point at all when actually closing the door to the van body (could only make it work manually and even then only barely). Since the latch seems somewhat subject to exposure from dirt, grime, etc., I sprayed it with Sea Foam penatrating oil. Worked the latch through its range for a bit and it starting fully latching in no time. Door hasn't popped since (only one day so far, but it always popped on the way to work before, so the prognosis is good). I'll try anything to avoid messing with hinges.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:34 PM   #8

Garage
Reviving an oldie here....

My side cargo door (the one you close first) has recently started an annoying habit of popping loose on rough washboard. When the door is shut (it does require a bit of a firm slam to engage it fully) all of the gaps are even so the door looks to be properly aligned. But when the going gets rough it pops loose - the second door thankfully stays shut w/ it so it's not like its flapping in the breeze....

Before I dig in further - should I go for a tweaking of the upper metal latch bar or spray the clamp area w/ lube?

Don't want to lube it if I don't have to w/ all of the dust out here and I'd rather not start bending stuff b/c I have a bad habit of occasionally going too far. If I bend it a bit any thoughts to which way? Up or down??? How much??

Thanks for the help guys - just want to know what the consensus would be for a 1st attempt at fixing the door unlatching

Cheers

-d
Old 08-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #9

Hey D - If you door lines up and latches OK, you're best bet is to do what deminimis did. Lube it!! I know, I also hate to put lube anywhere there is a chance of dirt, but I messed with my door for months and finally gave up and lubed it. That stopped the door from popping open and all is well. I really haven't had any dust collect there either. If that doesn't work, you can always go for the adjustment, but I'd do that as a last resort. Even the Ford guys say the problem is lack of lube. Good luck....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 08-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #10

Garage
Well, I guess its time to give 'er a bit of lube!

I have all sorts of stuff here at my disposal, any recommendations? I have a few different Bike Chain lubes, a wax based motorcycle chain lube and probably a general spray lube or two.

Thanks again

-d