Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #1

Dual gas tank filler fix

We have the dual 56-gallon gas tank option (2-28 gallon tanks) on our SMB and have been increasingly frustrated with the filler/gas door arrangement on this setup. Both fillers are accessed from the factory gas filler door. This means that neither filler is centered in the opening. The problem is that, here in the Bay Area, the air quality agency has long required gas vapor recovery systems be installed in gas stations...these systems capture and recycle the gas fumes which would escape while pumping gas. The system requires gas pump nozzles that seal the filler pipe before one can start pumping gas.

Occasionally, the combination of the seal around the nozzle and the spring which keeps the nozzle from failing out of the filler pipe can result in the nozzle being stuck in the filler pipe. When this happens, no amount of force can get the nozzle out of the filler pipe since it is at an angle. Instead, I have resorted to unscrewing the bracket which holds the two filler pipes in place and then forcing the offending pipe toward the center of the opening. Even with practice, this exercise takes at least 30 minutes.

The nozzles at a couple of the gas stations I frequent locally have recently changed the nozzles on their pumps which makes the potential of sticking even higher so I finally decided that I had to solve this problem once and for all.

I found a 7"x7" access door at RVShop.com which seemed like it might help solve the problem. (I initially tried to purchase it on-line but their security certificate was invalid. This made me question even dealing with them but I ended up placing a phone order and they gave me great service...an e-mail confirming the order, another that the order was being processed, and another when it got shipped the same day.)

While, in hindsight, I could have cut the opening myself, I had a local body shop cut the opening and paint the access cover to match our van color. I marked out the opening for them so it didn't take that much shop time. I installed the door myself once they cut the opening.

I filled up today and the gas nozzle now goes straight in to the filler pipe! Yeah! And the access door has a lock so I solved that problem too! Yeah!

Old 12-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #2

Old 12-17-2008, 09:27 AM   #3

I'll take the time to post them only if there is interest...in years on the SMB chat list, it seemed that I was the only one having this problem...
Old 12-19-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
I've had a similar problem but was able to get the thing out! It did piss me off for a second looking around seeing if anybody was looking at me I never understood why the nozzle hung up. No other problems to date. Wierd stuff in the bay area only?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #5

My interest is curiosity and I like to admire people's work.

Plus you never know what poor web surfer is going to find this thread, or when. I hate finding things from, like, 2004 and the resolution or outcome was never posted.

But you know, I post everything but my hangnails. I guess I'm just very visually oriented. Don't feel like I AM PRESSURING YOU.

Just kidding about the last part.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV
This thread without pictures of your hang nails is worthl..um..xx..actually....PRICELESS.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #7

I would love to see some pics of this...I've had issues with going to a filling station and the only diesel nozzles they are are the high flow ones for semis...I can get the front tank to go pretty fast but the back one is a p.i.t.a.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #8

Here you go...here is the outside view. The pair of holes are where a plate on the after-market access door warned about propane, etc.:

Here is a view with the door open:

The factory door extended to about the center line of both filler pipes. That meant that the gas nozzle had to be inserted at an angle. When you wanted to remove the gas nozzle, you needed to tip it straight up and pull it out. That wasn't always possible before because of the angle.

I can now fill up both tanks and the gas nozzle is perpendicular to the side of the van rather than at an angle as before. That has eliminated the potential of getting the gas nozzle stuck.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I've had a similar problem but was able to get the thing out! It did piss me off for a second :l4: looking around seeing if anybody was looking at me :c5: I never understood why the nozzle hung up. No other problems to date. Weird stuff in the bay area only?
The nozzles in the Bay area are definitely different than elsewhere...although the first time that I got the nozzle stuck was in Santa Barbara. I've never had problems out in the San Joaquin valley...