Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #11

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
Jage,

Thank you for the great write up.

I had a similar noise issue on my SMB. There was a terrible chatter noise from under the stove. I pulled out the drawers and saw the copper gas line was routed such that is rubbed on the cabinet walls.
- Root cause was the cutout for the gas line was not used...like your problem, the installer ignored the issue altogether and pushed the cabinet against the line.
- I dynamated portions of the cabinet and placed some on the area in interferance. Much much better.

If I order a new SMB, I think I'll skip the stove/furnace. I like the a stove that I can remove and cook outside. There is not enough room inside and I like to grill too. An electric blanket is a great subtitute for the furnace.

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:45 PM   #12

I was really excited by the project title, until I noticed it really didn't say 'DYNAMITED the fridge'.

Man, I thought you must have gotten really ticked at it!! And I understood why you had to rebuild the wall.

I'm about ready to pull my fridge and add some styrofoam insulation to reduce running times. I think I have to pull the doors off the cabinets across the way to get enough room to pull it out.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:48 PM   #13

The fridge as previously noted is much much bassier with the Dynamat. The vibration is still transmitted to the counter but it's muted, and the direct contact between the fridge and bracked eliminated most of it.

I'm careful not to leave anything on the counter that could rattle before going to bed, otherwise the only thing that rattles is the counter itself. I'm kicking myself but when I had the fridge out the screws seemed tight so I didn't think the counter needed to be snugged.

When I get around to redoing it I think the counter to walls above the fridge is a great place for some material to dampen sound and vibration. I'm pretty sure the screws back out over time and the real source is the counter vibrating against the walls and brackets. Even a little bead of caulk during construction would alleviate this without making the counter hard to remove.

As far as cold, the fridge is now working on 3 for general use. The frozen stuff is not really frozen though, so I think 3.5 or higher might be in order. Of course it's also no longer the Arizona summer so that needs to be taken into consideration.

I think in general the Dyanmat didn't noticably improve the cooling setting. I guess the duty cycle is less frequent, but again that could be summer vs. winter.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:40 AM   #14

Does any know how to pull out the Norcold 3.0 fridge? I've been looking at Jage"s pictures which I'm guessing is of a 4.0. I've been messing with mine for 2 hours and still don't have the door off.

Bob in Tucson
Old 06-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #15

You might check the Badger's Site or try posting a new thread.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #16

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
My refrig has made noise from the beginning but now there is a much louder vibration. If I put about 10 pounds pressure on the top of open door, the vibration stops and if I lift the open door it gets worse.

I'm going to be at SMB West on July 9 so I will ask them about it but I am thinking I may have to do something myself - great write-up . . . I even have a cat (Bamm Bamm) to supervise.

I think I will disconnect the 110v completely. I am not sure it gives me much advantage.

Regards,

Keith
Old 07-06-2008, 08:58 AM   #17

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
Does anyone know where you get the insulation that looks like bubble wrap with aluminum foil on both sides? Home Depot and Lowes don't seem to know.

You can hear my fridge from outside the van about 10' away. I can imagine how loud it sounds at night in the woods when everything else is quite!

Has SMB addressed any of this under warranty? I will be there (Fresno) Wednesday.

Regards,

Keith
Old 07-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #18

People keep telling me it's at the hardware store, but I get the same thing when I ask them "Huh?" usually followed by a romp through 1/2 the store. "Is this it?" "No, it's like bubble wrap but foil. Metalic, shiny." "What's it for?" "It's insulation." "But is it for?" "It's for insulation. For my van. To keep the cold out. Does it really matter what I'm using it for?" "Oh, maybe try plumbing."

Look for a cold weather camping thread, or maybe sleeping in the PH thread I think some people talk about it. I'm planning to go online one of these days, so let me know if you find a source.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #19
AEJ

Try HomeDepot.com and look under insulation then brand: Reflectix. When you go to Home Depot site they make you give your zipcode so possibly your area doesn't carry it.

Al
Old 07-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #20
Site Team

I found similar stuff at either Lowes or Home Depot, in the HVAC area, being sold as duct insulation (which is what I used it for).

Herb