Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #11

Re: Espar Hydronic Coolant Heater -Can't it Heat Your Cabin Too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewST
Gulliver,

My install should take place by end 2009 or beginning 2010.
If by then it is still not available in the states, I will bring it in my luggage

A friend installed it in his truck, will check if I can get a sound track of it.

Andrew
LOL! - Are you aware of the dimensions? It would easily fill a medium size suitcase! Not too mention the hassle you might get from our US Customs

I hope to have my rig complete by end of 2009. But a sound sample of your friend's unit would be very helpful, if not too inconvenient?

I contacted Webasto USA, and they promised to call me back with a projected release date. I'll update this thread when I get the answer.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver
LOL! - Are you aware of the dimensions? It would easily fill a medium size suitcase! Not too mention the hassle you might get from our US Customs
I contacted Webasto USA, and they promised to call me back with a projected release date. I'll update this thread when I get the answer.
By luggage, I was thinking freight or container ... but hoppefully by then it will be available in the states.
Will check if I can register the sound will keep you updated
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #13

Got a call from Don Kaneth of Webasto-USA today (I give 'em big points for following up with my enquiry). He said that I could order a Dual Top here in the US. Also claims that the furnace is "whisper quiet" in comparison to their own Thermo 90, which itself seems to be already quieter than the Espar Hydronic (based on youtube soundtracks).

He also talked about the fact that it can be externally mounted without risk of freeze damage. This is due to a temperature sensing self-drain; a feature that automaticaly dumps fresh water from the 3 gallon tank when the temps get close to freezing. And if you don't trust the temperature sensor, you can activate a 'manual-dump' from the remote control panel mounted inside your coach. These features would really eliminate the worry, hassle and expense of dealing with potential freeze damage.

So this Dual Top sounds like a major step forward in RV furnace technology...the only question remaining is "how much?". For the answer, I have to wait for Don to work out a retail pricing through a local (to me) vendor.

Cool and informative website for Dual Top: http://www.webasto-dualtop.com/index_uk.html
Old 07-23-2009, 10:28 PM   #14

Gulliver, when that comes in put it in a new thread will you? It sounds too good to be buried in the Espar info.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #15

Hi, sorry. I pretty much abandoned the Webasto Dual-Top option, for now anyway. The unit and installation hardware alone would run about $4,000...way beyond what I think most DIY'ers would be willing to pay. If it works as advertised, I think it would be the utimate RV heating system. However, I've been reading about a lot of woes with tempramental diesel furnaces.

If I won the lottery (I don't play) I'd give it a gamble.

So Jage, I don't think it's worthy of it's own thread at this point. Unless someone else wants to pick it up and run with it...

For my part, the search for the ultimate and affordable RV heating system goes on...Hey, that sounds like a good topic title
Old 11-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #16

There are threads on the expo forum where a diesel engine and a single webasto/espar hydronic has provided diesel coolant warming, cabin heat, and hot water (via a marine tank or flat plate heater). It does require a water to air radiator with a fan, but that's smaller than a furnace.

The heat can be turned off for summer with a single valve. As long as the system piping is below the radiator cap, no expansion tank is necessary. It really is quite simple, but surprisingly only done on high-end vehicles.

The cabin is heated when driving, if desired, by the engine. The hydronic heater is only fired up when the engine is not heating water.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #17

People do it all the time, see:
- Premade Espar kit
- Premade Webasto kit
- Winnebago Revel
- Sure Marine
- Rixen
- Etc

And of course :P ...
- My blog
i3enhamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #18

I have this as my heater and water heater and it seems to work fine and the noise is minimal as well as not bothersome. I had an Espar heater in my last van and the only difference I see is the heated air coming out is not quite as hot
Old 04-18-2018, 10:15 PM   #19

I think another difference would be the draw on your battery bank running pump and fan.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:54 AM   #20

Old thread! Wow...
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote