Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #1

Fiamma Awning Repair

After plenty of procrastination I am finally getting around to fixing the Fiamma awning that MountainBikeRoamer generously gave me!

Couple weeks ago I finally disassembled the broken arm and found out exactly what was wrong with it. Basically the "elbow" joint had sheared off. I was able to hammer out the press fit pin at the joint and remove a screw or two to get the arm apart and the broken piece removed. I made sure to keep a chunk of the broken part attached to the tensioning cable so as to not lose it inside the arm.

As most of you know the arm works via a tensioned cable that wraps around this elbow component. Obviously with that part broken the arm is no longer under tension and does not spring open.

Pictures below of both the broken and functioning part.
Attached Thumbnails
57144053374__A8732E7A-D040-4572-A3E4-4F3F7CC59F0E.jpg   IMG_0308.jpg   IMG_0297.jpg   IMG_0298.jpg  

BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #2

The arm is the primary functional issue with the awning, other than that it needs new end caps and the vinyl has a tear in it. I found new end caps on amazon EU very reasonably priced so that is one item to check off the list.

The vinyl doesn't necessarily need to be repaired for the awning to work so I am undecided on how to proceed there.

First thing I did was get in contact with fiamma to inquire about replacement parts. Communication was slow but essentially they will not sell me one of the elbow components. The arms on the awning are a different model than the awning itself, and they will only sell me replacement parts that match the model of the awning. They even sent me the drawing for the model associated with the arm to identify it and they won't let me order any parts off of that drawing.... slightly frustrating.

Anyway I am awaiting pricing on end caps and a new vinyl piece from them and will decide how to proceed based on what they are charging. Either way seems like the end caps will be no problem to replace.
Attached Thumbnails
57144071211__C2365EB2-A938-4912-A0AE-332C0A1CFFBE.jpg   IMG_0302.jpg   IMG_0306 (1).jpg  
Old 02-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #3

So now that I know getting a replacement elbow piece is off the table I need to figure out how to fix the arm. If I can't fix the arm, the rest of the parts don't matter anyway.

First thought:
Disassemble the functioning arm and use the other elbow component to make a 3D model which could then be sent to ProtoLabs to get machined. This would probably work but most likely be a little on the expensive side. The part is fairly complex and I would probably want it done in stainless steel. The whole point of this project is to get an awning cheap, so this might be unrealistic.

Second though:
Ditch the tensioning cable and replace it with something that provides similar function. First thing that came to mind was a torsion spring. It just needs to be strong enough to bias the arm open and fit around the approximately 0.5" press fit pin that the elbow component rotated on.

Good news with the second thought is McMaster has a lot of options and they are basically under $10 each. Current plan is to try and measure how much force is required to actuate the functioning arm and then attempt to find a torsion spring that matches.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.PNG  
Old 02-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #4

Garage
Ever since that maniac killed all those employees at Fiamma FL they have been at a loss. If you can't get the parts straight from Europe manufacturing a solution in your best bet. If you can't find what works at MM Carr you probably cant find it.

Or, post the Fiamma drawing here and one of us can order the part for you.
Perhaps we can fool them with a clever ruse.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #5

My buddy broke the elbow on his Fiamma F65 awning last summer and was able to order a complete arm from Fiamma.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post
My buddy broke the elbow on his Fiamma F65 awning last summer and was able to order a complete arm from Fiamma.
Any idea how much they charged him for it? I am considering just opening a new request through fiamma and just not telling them what model my awning is to buy a replacement arm.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #7

It was about $700 for the complete arm assembly from Fiamma.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post
It was about $700 for the complete arm assembly from Fiamma.
I was afraid of that... would make more sense for me to buy a brand new awning at that price.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #9

Yeah, it was crazy priced. In my buddies case, he damaged a brand new awning so it made sense. If yours has any age on it you might as well get everything brand new.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
Old 02-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #10

BenJJ I have the same issue with an older Fiamma. They no longer make the correct arm, so I'm very curious if you will be able to come up with a solution.
dleeallen is offline   Reply With Quote