Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #1

Fiamma awning ripped out..

This last weekend a somewhat "mild" wind picked up my extended awning while we were camping, and it brought it just about vertical. When I went to go stake the awning legs into the ground I noticed that it had ripped the mounting bolts out from the side of the van. Upon further looking at the entire situation, it appears as if the Ford van wall thickness is fairly thin compared to the overall weight of the awning, and it didn't stand a chance.

Has anyone else had a similar situation happen to them? Or, does anyone have a suggestion on how to improve the mounting of these awnings?

Thanks in advance.

Fishbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Fiamma awning ripped out..

Basically if the wind catches it and it’s not secured enough, the thing becomes a big sail. There have been several posts concerning how the awning causes cracks due to vibration and there were a couple of members that damaged theirs by hitting something or wind caused issues similar to what happened to you.
viewtopic.php?t=2195
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=880
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3206&start=15
There are more post...hope these help. I'm sure others will chime in. Sorry to hear it caused damage. Good luck

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote